A lawn mowing/bluebird observation with pics!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hen, we are really seeing a resurgence of Eastern Bluebirds here. Every Nature Park/Preserve is dotted with boxes, even along the wood lines.

We have one box here, and I look forward to seeing the male sparring first thing in the spring. As I worked in the garden yesterday, the male of the nesting female stood on the top of a tomato stake, telling me to "move along, move along".....

Hope you see more!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Well, the grandson showed up and mowed the lawn this evening. I wonder if that will affect the birds. They are there without fail every morning and every evening. Just thinking that they are dining on the mosquitoes that like to nibble my ankles while I'm trying to do the morning chores makes me smile! And my mom is going to lend me her zoom lens to try to get pictures of them. There's just something about that brilliant blue as a male catches the sunlight on his back just right. Whoever came up with the phrase "the bluebird of happiness" got it right. As long as you don't add that "fly up your nose" part anyway..........
getting punchy. Time for bed!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hen - I wish I had remembered this sooner. You can also set up a mealworm feeding station to encourage the bluebirds to hang around (and come back next year).

A simple tray up (or bottom of a 2-liter bottle or the like) off of the ground will suffice.

Just a thought.

Great pix.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Hen - I wish I had remembered this sooner. You can also set up a mealworm feeding station to encourage the bluebirds to hang around (and come back next year).

A simple tray up (or bottom of a 2-liter bottle or the like) off of the ground will suffice.

Just a thought.

Great pix.
Hmmm, I could do that, except that the birds are safer across the street. I have neighborhood cats who can find hiding places to jump on unsuspecting birds. The neighbor's yard is much more open so the cats can't get the better of the birds. I'll have to think that through.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have bluebirds . . . and I have cats. I find blue feathers at least once a year. :hit

We have at least one pair of bluebirds around the yard this year. They are probably happy now that the hayfield has been cut and the pasture has been brush hogged.