A Likely Emergency Situation

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There are always quarts of heat and serve stuff around here. Around here in the winter it would be to easy . Just put a pot on the wood heater in the morning of beans it's ready at supper time. Or open a jar of beef roast, a jar of onion, a jar of potatoes and a jar of carrots . Put on the heater a it will heat up .
Would you start a thread to share these with us? It would help me!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Would you start a thread to share these with us? It would help me!

i think the idea is to can simple ingredients like those mentioned and then you always have them for later if you want to make something else from them. we do this with beans quite a bit as if i'm making a pot of beans it doesn't take that much longer to make a bigger pot of them and then we drain and freeze them so they can be used anytime after that (plain or in combination with other things).

so to me what you ask is answered by going and looking up how to can onions, carrots, potatoes, etc. (pressure canning for some of those is required unless you acidify enough to get them to work as BWB).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to have a thread on using our canned goods...maybe in ways some of us hadn't thought about before. Like the other thread on mashed carrots - I wonder if that recipe would work well with canned carrots or if they might be kind of watery/mushy?

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The same mix canned potatoes,carrots, onion , one of my 1/2 pints of celery , a jar of ground beef , a bit of hot sauce , a jar of tomato sauce or stewed tomatoes and you have a beef stew .

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A quart of chicken broth and 3 eggs . Bring broth up to where it is steaming . Brake eggs in bowl and mix together.. Pour in slowly while stirring. Egg drop soup hits the spot when your sick. That one needs fresh chives but dried ons will do . Have used spouting onion tops.
In a well stocked pantry the combos that take less than 15 min. and no cooking skills are limitless.

Latest posts