A Little Backyard Homestead Project

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We have epic mud here- like my car can't get in the driveway for a month or so. Not sure how much of an issue it would be in "normal" places lol. I'll ask my husband...
We have some serious rainfall over winter, sometimes up to minor flooding levels. Coupled with short days of little or no sun to dry things out, it can get interesting here…

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So he said that if he were putting in a walkway, the technically correct way to do it is to dig down, put down crushed stone with a layer of fabric over it. Then put down sand with your stones on top. He would use a compacter to... But he does this at work sometimes so you might not want/need to do all that at home!
Thank you!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
O.K. mess suggestions: dig it over into the soil, or remove for start of a compost heap/chicken bedding or something else? It looks like a tough type of dried grass. The rambling brambles will be put back in place, or cut where needed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother @Beekissed that is exactly what I plan to do, take lots of pics as I make progress. It will keep me motivated and it will be enormously satisfying seeing the change over time. The soil beneath that mess is absolutely gorgeous! My landlord told me he grew vegetables there years ago, when they lived in this house.

Ooooooo, long fallow soil! BONUS!!!! :woot You should be able to get a GREAT first year garden out of that!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sumi, those are the kinds of projects I love! Once they get to the long term maintenance, I have to struggle a little to care. But it's great fun to take a totally overgrown patch and find out what used to grow there and make that land usable. There are sooo many possibilities. And you have a huge bonus of not having to worry about snakes. I'll enjoy watching your progress!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can you burn the branches or are fires illegal? You could burn the mess in the garden spot and have the ashes for the garden.

A chicken coop, a garden, roses and a bit of a yard! What more could you ask for? :weee:weee:weee

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The branches are going to get burned, but in the stove inside. Ashes can go back out there afterwards then.

And a lovely old stone wall! Right where I plan to put the roses too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Being a New Englander I do love my stone walls. Our property is 3/4 surrounded by them. Sounds like you found a really lovely place sumi!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the stone steps. I can't wait to see what you do with that! I envision it with some kind of flowering shrubs alongside, with some trailing flowers underneath that could drape down the sides. But, whatever you do with it - I'm sure it will be lovely!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Roof the chicken pen and run. The unroofed one I have here turns into a quagmire in winter if I'm not careful and keep fresh straw down.

The silkie pens are mostly roofed and nice to walk through.

Apple trees are good. Plums do great in wet conditions and pears do same as apples.