A Little Backyard Homestead Project

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Finally had some time and energy today to get started. This only took me about 90 minutes, but it was heavy enough work and mostly done by hand as I kept finding more and more stones buried. I dug out quite a lot of stones and a bit of building rubble (which I moved to the back of the property, along with most of the moss). I plan to dig this patch over later and put some roses in here. Before and after:

IMG_20170829_141516.jpg

The stone wall was about half this height when I got going. I actually enjoyed restacking it, but time will tell how secure it is lol There are still some stones left to remove, but I found the soil below and got to get an idea of how good/bad the situation is here.

IMG_20170829_162613.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I went to Aldi this afternoon to do some grocery shopping and then this happened:

IMG_20170903_171248.jpg

They are both pale pink, it's all they had, but at e9.00 each I'm not too fussy ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A surprising find in the backyard yesterday. DS (11) is over the moon :) We saw it laying half overgrown and thought it is a piece of farming equipment of some description, so I was VERY surprised when DS and two friends lifted it upright yesterday and we saw what it really was. We're going to fix and paint it next week, weather allowing.

IMG_20170910_163945.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
More treasures today. I cut a box of sticks for the fire from the first pile of branches this morning and then investigated the second pile further into the backyard, which was covered in dry grass. There are some lovely pieces of wood here! I tossed it all out on the grass for now to dry out in-between rain showers. As soon as I have the chickens' pen up I'm going to cut it and store it in the shed (where the chickens are sleeping at the moment)

IMG_20170911_171759.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Britesea, Very nice new picture! :)

@sumi, You've really been busy. Is the slide usable? Or is it really rusty? If it's not safe as a toy, it might make a great trellis for beans or peas or even flowers to grow on. I can imagine that as a trellis for your wild roses... Your chickens are lucky! Mine would love all that grass, but here, I'd be afraid of snakes. Looks like you're finding lots of firewood though. It's always great to find free wood. :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I bumped into my landlady this afternoon and mentioned it. She looked a bit alarmed and couldn't offer any clues as to what they are from or where they came from, except the neighbours burned rubbish in the back here, which is close to where I found the bones. Only two so far, thank goodness, but those creeped me out enough! I'll just keep thinking it was remains of a roast or something, unless something more sinister comes out of that mess.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: I bet SUMI can't wait to see those fences either!! Then her work will be lessened. So far, there has been a heap of work done. And I agree, your landlord is thrilled you moved in there. Obviously no one else took any time to work at it.

Sorry it's so very much work -- and all by hand! Geesh, I feel like I'd like to come help, with my equipment! But I can hardly wait to see it done and blooming. :ya

You go girl!!! :clap

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Found this info somewhere:
"Once Stinging Nettle is dry it does not sting. It is the only way our goats eat it. Helpful fro dietary issues, great for skin issues when eaten, use it in salves and teas. Stinging nettle is high in Vitamins and minerals."
Another thing I found said to "cut it and not rake it until the next day and it won't sting."

No personal experience with it - just found that online. Not even sure if it's referring to the same plant you're dealing with.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks! I just got a text from the school saying due to "severe weather" warnings and for health and safety reasons, the school won't be open tomorrow. In other parts of the country school bus service has been cancelled as well. This sounds like it may be a serious storm. So glad we're nowhere near the coast or where they are expecting it to pass over.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Our power came back on about half an hour ago :) So relieved and happy! Much of Ireland lost power and many homes water as well, due to the power outages.

@Joel_BC I hope your brother and family is o.k. and things will get back to normal for them soon!