A Little Backyard Homestead Project

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I LOVE the sign! And a shed?? Now that WOULD be something very convenient to uncover... Maybe it could be the alternative housing for the chickens that you've been looking for. I hope there IS a shed back there. We'll be watching to see what else you did out.
@Britesea what a great recipe! Alabama is known for their clay. That would be fun to try! :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
If there is a shed back there, I cannot find it :( I'm going to have to get a weed whacker of some description and cut the growth back a bit more there at some point and explore, but I'm not feeling optimistic, looking at the space, what is growing there, where the back wall is and what might be hidden in there.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe you'll have ROOM for a shed once you clear the space. If there WAS a shed, maybe you'll find some goodies that were once in it?? A rake would be nice. Reading your thread is almost as fun as going on a scavenger hunt! :ya

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This week, due to rain and a sinus infection that drained me completely, I didn't venture into the backyard much. DS is a bit more adventurous (and nettle tolerant) than me, so he went in and looked and said he did see a shed there before. But after quizzing him it turned out the one he saw was behind the stone wall, in the neighbouring property :(

@milkmansdaughter I have space for a small barn back there! If I have the energy to clear it all the way back that is… As for goodies, that would be nice! I borrowed a rake so long, but I can use more tools.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I still haven't found that mystical shed, but I did get a bit more cleaning done… And found another bone :th I've been sawing up the wood from the second pile in-between as well.

DS wanted to paint the slide, so I bought him some spray paint and let him loose. He did an o.k. job on it. More fun than work, but it looks good. The only paint they had was black, so he couldn't play too much, but he had fun.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
This week's mission:

I got a pair of secateurs and some strong gloves (those vines's thorns have thorns) and got busy cutting that back and cleared this morning. The rain chased me back inside now, but I'm going to continue when it passed.

IMG_20171007_115713.jpg
IMG_20171007_115741.jpg

My backyard's fence is somewhere in that mess… I'm not 100% sure where the boundary is, so I'm just cutting and trimming and cleaning blind and will check with my landlord when he comes round again.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - that is one thick mass of stuff. But, you're making visible progress! That's a good thing!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks, FEM. I had a look at the first pics I took of the back for motivation and it's looking a lot different! I just got to keep on keeping on out there :) The area I'm working on at the moment I earmarked for vegetable beds. I'm going to head back out there in a bit and see how far I can go today. The 4th and 5th pics in Post #1 shows that area from another angle.