a little bummed today

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dog Britty the Wonder Pomeranian has gone blind. It's just sad to see him. I know dogs don't depend on their vision as much as humans do but still. I'm trying to remember not to leave shoes and purses lying around and had to barracade the steps downstairs.

I researched some drops that are said to improve cataracts in animals and humans. Anybody ever use those? Surgery's not an option for a lot of reasons.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
jenna,

I wish I could offer some advice, but I've never had that experience.

Just wanted you to know that I feel for you. I hope somone here can help you.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
AAhh...sorry for you.
I know. My dog Mica had severe cataracts and was blind. She would trip over her water bucket if I moved it. I know.

But she lived with blind for about 6 months and I put her down for a bunch of reasons. She was 16 and starting to fail.

yea I know about bummed. she doesn't require eyesight but we never want them to lose it!! take comfort in the fact you will do all you can for her cause in the wild it would be a death sentence, with you she is taken care of for the rest of her time!!!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
If your primary reason for not doing this is financial, you can contact your state university. They will remove the dog's cataracts as part of the teaching at no/ little charge. My sister had her Afghan's heart valve repaired free.
I go to my university's dental school for my state of the art low priced dental care that students perform under strict supervision. This dog program works the same way. Just something to consider.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog. I have a six year old pomeranian female who is the light of my life. She is so loyal and loving. She is a great and gental dog so I can imagine what you are going through. :hugs

Syvie has good advise and I would have never thought of that. Just know that we will be praying for you as you go through this tough time with your long-time companion. :hugs

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:hugs I hope you can find some eye drops that help!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I would think she might learn to cope quite well as long as you can keep things where she knows they are- I bet she will even learn to run and play once she has confidence. Give her lots of hugs and scratches from all of us.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When my pom was getting her cataracts we pted out of surgery for other health reasons that poms are prone to have. I asked about drops like humans do to help with theirs & the vet did not recomend them at the time(4 yrs ago). Mine was 15 1/2 when I had to put her down due to cancer 3 yrs ago, but she was a wonderful, wonderful little companion for me & I still miss her. Very loyal little dogs they are. Almost wish I could get another one.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks all. I just got back in from going home at lunch. Poor Britty got "lost" under the table and just kept trying to get out. I'm not rushing to help him because I think he has to learn to cope...but it still just breaks my heart.

Thanks sylvie, for the info.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My Aussie is blind. We realized his vision was impaired in one eye shortly after we rescued him. I was training with him to do agility and had to stop because it wasn't safe for him to be on the high obstacles. He's lost almost all vision in both eyes now. He copes pretty well and the situation forces my 6 year old to keep his things picked up. Outside he was doing fine until we had snow cover. He seems to have more difficulty navigating around the yard. We don't let him out unsupervised because of this. We also had a blind pug once. He was amazing in the way he moved around the yard and house. People never suspected he couldn't see.