A little rant ...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DH is suffering from a cold - and suffering is the correct word. Like many men he is a total baby when he is sick :lol:. Anyway, he got the cold 2 1/2 weeks ago shortly after we got to Japan. We managed to find some cold medicine at the pharmacy, and he could keep the symptoms more or less under control. Now we are home, the symptoms are back full force, and now he has jet lag to deal with as well. Just as well there is nothing urgent that needs doing, and the weather isn't nice.
Before we left on the trip I packed a bottle of echinacea pills, and took a dose 3 times a day knowing that travel, and airplanes, often offer the chances for a cold. I didn't get sick. The last couple of days I have woken with a slight sore throat, but my echinacea dose, and some extra vitamin C seem to be keeping things under control.
My rant? Well, you see, DH doesn't believe that echinacea is at all effective. In fact, he knows this, because he read an article somewhere that told him so. He sneers (not laughs, sneers; he isn't at all polite about it) at me for being so gullible. However, he won't read the articles that I have shown him showing the opposite, nor will he believe that the fact that he is sick, and I am not is anything more than coincidence. I say, maybe I am gullible, and maybe it doesn't work, and maybe it is all coincidence, but mightn't it be worth trying?
Anybody else feel the need to whip out the cast iron frying pan now and then?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Tell him to shut up and stop his belly aching if he does not want to take anything that you suggested! :smack :tongue

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Tell him just to give it a try. It can't hurt him it doesn't work and maybe it just will work.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would smile smugly each time he sniffles, coughs or complains of feeling badly and offer your echinacea to him. No more words are needed....you are not sick, he is. ;)

Isn't it funny how an open mouth so very often accompanies a closed mind? :p

I get the same reaction from folks who won't try The Treatment when they get sick and linger on in their illness, just so sure that it just has to "run it's course".

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
FF, Man Stroke Woman is hilarious! :lol:

If he believes it will work, it will work so much better.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The Man Cold is hilarious ... and even my guy isn't as bad as that! Heavens no, I don't actually suggest that he take the echinacea; I know how he feels. This last outburst happened when I mentioned to someone else that I was fine, and why, and he wasn't. No matter; I will continue to do my thing, and let him do his. Just ... he IS my husband, and I am rather fond of him most of the time, and I would prefer that he not feel bad. But what is a person to do?
I kind of dread the day that he develops heart problems, and I need to tell him where digitalis originates ...

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Men are funny about that stuff. If somebody said echinacea improved men's sex lives- he'd be taking it, just in case. But they wont listen to us easily about preventive medicine. :he The study he probably heard of was using a very low dose. Studies should run the test with a typical dose to see if it works.
Echinacea is more for prevention so he's a little late for it now. The vitamin C would be good still.

My frying pan should have a head shaped dent by now.
If it makes you feel better, they say "living well is the best revenge". You're doing pretty well. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--anyone being stubborn is a pain..LOL

but for Tony, when I suggest something and he says no thanks---I never suggest again. I don't nag or worry about it at all.....he is grown up and he can handle his own sick if he doesn't take my recommendations.
I help, suggest once, then he is on his own.LOL