A lonely little UK voice!

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop a little hello in here.

Really enjoying reading everyone's journals and all the other information on here. Even though some things don't travel so well across the atlantic (canning is completely new to me!), I'm getting so many ideas and lots of inspiration from you all.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Islay, hello, and :welcome

I hope to get even more posters from across the pond, we need the diversity and different input! :thumbsup

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
By the way, you shouldn't be too lonley, "Hattie the Hen" (a real cool chick) is also from the UK, near Oxford. :)

Again, WELCOME! :D

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm new here myself, so I feel odd extending the welcome where I still feel like a guest--but, welcome!

Funny, I wouldn't have thought that canning was something that wouldn't travel well over the Atlantic. I know for a fact that there are canners in the UK! Except I think you say "pots" instead of "jars"? Quibble, quibble. :)

Hope you enjoy visiting here, as I do.

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you for the lovely welcome!

I hope I can contribute something as we get a bit more self sufficient. We're still in the very early days, but we have a five year plan (doesn't everyone!) to be self sufficient in certain things, and generally be a bit less reliant on The Man. This has been my first year growing vegetables (with varying degrees of success!) and we've been reducing our energy consumption as much as possible with the eventual aim of being able to generate our own energy when we buy somewhere. Which leads onto our biggest challenge at the moment - saving for a deposit to buy a house and a little bit of land so we can move out of our tiny little rented cottage. Hopefully we'll be in a position to buy next year, and then the money saving to pay off the mortgage early can begin!

Reading the posts and journals on here is already teaching me loads, and I expect I'll learn a lot more in the months and years to come.

I think it's more the actual term 'canning' rather than the process that is new to me, but I actually don't know! Will go and read up on it now...

Latest posts