A new favorite Cantaloupe variety

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Earlier this year I did a seed swap over at BYC and had received seeds for Charentais melon (aka True French Cantaloupe).

I was very excited about trying this variety after doing some research on it since I'm the olny one who likes it in this household and the locally grown Cantaloupes (actually Muskmelons) are too big for me to finish off by myself. The Chanterais is roughly the size of a large grapefruit, so I figured it would be perfect for me.

Started the seeds in toilet paper rolls, had 100% germination and gave half of the seedlings to mom to plant in their garden. As has been par for the course this year, the grasshoppers decimated my seedlings. :rant We did the civilized visit at moms' on Monday and noticed a cute little cantaloupe in her fridge when I put her eggs in there. Turns out it was one of the Chanterais melons from the plants that I gave her. :D

We had it for dessert after she got home from Awana at church and I just have to say that it was the best cantaloupe that I have ever eaten in my entire life! :drool It has a rather small seed cavity, not a ton of seeds and the fruit went all of the way to the rind. I rescued the seeds from the chicken scraps bag and will be sowing some of them in a few days. :cool:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's good news because I have those kind, too! I got the seed from an active person on TEG, and she is also on BYC. Mine are growing pretty well. I have one cantaloupe that is about as big as a softball now; others are smaller. I love cantaloupe!!!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm glad that I posted about it since you're growing them, too! :D

Mom said her vines didn't go crazy with growth but I suspect most of the problem was with the watering practices at my sisters. They either forget to turn the water on, or drown the garden because they forget to turn it off. :lol: