A new member from Connecticut

BunnyGal

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Lisa and I live in CT. Currently I live in the busy suburbs on a 1/4 acre lot. Not my ideal situation by far (I'm a land living country gal), I make the most of every inch of my space.

In my home there is only myself and my 17 yo daughter who will be leaving for college this summer. My older son moved out of the country for grad school several years back. Once my daughter is gone it will be me, my 2 dogs, 8 cats and a small herd of meat rabbits that I raise for personal consumption. I wish I could have chickens and such, but zoning does not allow it. Rabbits are it.

I grow a small veggie garden each year (zoning limits the size - which I always violate!) as well as a herb garden. I have some blackberry and strawberry plants and lots of perennial flowers.

I've been on disability for 5 years now following a spinal cord injury and severe back damage (and several surgeries) so what I do and how I do it has changed a lot. I do a lot less and it takes a lot more work, but I refuse to quit so I find a way :)

My only living family are my two children and with one living in a foreign country and one leaving for college half way across this country - i'm pretty isolated. It's ok though - it's taught me how to be creative and to find ways to do things for myself despite my limitations. Rather than looking at what I dont have or cant do, I'm thankful for what I do have and can do. My mind is positive even if my body disagrees :)

I joined this group hoping to find more ways to utilize the small space I have and to find ways to lower my cost of living. CT has the highest electrical rate in the nation and most other utilities are at or near the top as well. I heat with oil which is OUTRAGEOS. I just had my tank filled. 275 gallons @ $3.89 a gallon = $1070.00 which will only last 6-7 weeks and this year our lovely govt cut all energy assistance - so i'll be using a lot more blankets and sweaters!

Since i'm on a very tight fixed income and have limited motion and few around to help - incorporating a lot of ideas I found on the web are not an option. They either take money to start up or more ability than I have. It's frustrating, but i continue my quest.....

Well that's it - i'm open to any and all ideas of how to lower my utility bills (heat with oil, electric stove, no fireplace, city water and sewer charges) and also open to any ideas of what else I can do with my small plot to be more self sufficient, such as anything else I can plant/grow, any indoor ideas or gadgets, things I can grow in the house? gadgets to lower costs? any ideas are welcome and much needed. Oh - I did recently aquire a food dehydrator but other than dehydrating some rabbit to make home made dog and cat treats, I haven't used it for anything; i'm clueless what to do with it and since it will be only me, dont need mass amounts of anything.

Hope to learn and share and thanks for listening!

Lisa

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I lived in Windsor CT for about 8 yrs
worked at CIGNA
nice state but super expensive :)

welcome!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome from a neighbor to your south-South Jersey. What part of CT do you live in? My sister and her hubby live in Fairfield.

How big is your garden, and do you do any companion planting/square foot gardening? That will help you to get the most out of your garden that you can. Plus, you can plant things like fruit trees, bushes, etc in the yard. If you have flower gardens, you can always grow things like asparagus and rhubarb in them. They don't "look" like a vegetable, so you might be able to get away w/that.

There's lots of other ideas on here, some in threads dedicated to that entirely, others in people's journals. Have fun reading.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome! :frow

By joining us, you've just expanded your family! :hugs

Make yourself at home here and enjoy!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HI!
i was in CT up untill October...
couldnt afford to stay even living in my parents basement...too expensive up there (i too am on a very fixed budget)
and way too much snow...

TN isMUCH more me friendly lol.

in terms of heat, its a big investment but i REALY suggest looking into pellet (or multi fule) stoves if your already paying out big money every year for heating oil.
my parents live in FFC and it was all electric heat...
they had 2 pellet stoves installed, pay about $2000 a year to fill the pellet shed but that heats the entire 2200 sqft 2story house from fall through spring with both stoves running.
its espensive to set up, and buying the pellets in bulk is an expence just like oil/wood ect...but they run very efficiently,e asy to upkeep and they realy do work wel!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSGreenemail.jpg

I don't have much in the way of advice for you.
CT is not at all like Tucson AZ!

But, I will be anxious to hear how you are doing
and hope you will post photos of your furry friends,
and your garden.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome

Hey Lisa, Welcome and enjoy. I'am sure you will find some great info on here, and even if it's not all pertaining to your liveing situatuion, we are all a great group and fun. So stick around and tell us about you and how you have overcome the curves life had thrown you.

We'll learn from you and just maybe you can learn a few tricks from us!:thumbsup