A new use for shredded paper..................

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I was reading a thread about storing potatoes in which the lady said to layer shredded paper then add a layer of potatoes, paper, potatoes, etc.
It made me think about those pieces of fruit that I occasionally lose - the ones at the bottom of the bowl that rot there they press on the bowl or basket. I did try baskets but the fruit still did it and I couldn't clean the basket well.

So I tried the shredded paper then a layer of fruit, etc in a basket and no rot yet at all. So I have real hopes of this.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! If I don't go military on my brood they don't eat the fruit up and it spoils. My dh frowns on feeding the chickens the fruit before it is spoiled but who wants to feed animals spoiled food. I will definately try this one.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Years ago I got an industrial strength paper shredder at a farm auction for $5 ... it has been such a bargain. We save and shred every scrap of paper that comes into our house (junk mail welcome!). We bed stalls in the barn, mix with dry leaves and wood chips in the chicken house, put in chicken nests, and use sparingly in the compost bins. Find that it needs to be fluffed up and layered thinly in compost pile . I also us it as packing when I ship anything.