A re-introduction of elevan

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello. My name is Emily. I am a member of SS, BYH, BYC and TEG and a moderator on SS, BYH and BYC. Owner of Honaker Farm in Central Ohio situated on 5 acres. Wife and mom to 2 boys. I've been a member here for a year and while I don't post much here, I am an avid reader of SS.

We raise goats, turkeys, chickens, guineas, ducks and quail for consumption. This includes meat, milk and eggs. And are raising our first beef steer. A pond stocked with fish and frogs. Some of our animals are also pets.

We keep a small garden to provide fresh produce. I can, freeze and dehydrate everything that I can. I also enjoy wild foraging for edible plants. We just planted a small multi fruit orchard.

Im a huge proponent for reusing / recycling things. My outbuildings have all been built or repaired with 85% or better reused materials.

I've recently began experimenting with cheese making and soap making.

My dream would be to have a 200 acre homestead and live completely off the grid.

You can read more about me, my farm and animals in my journal on BYH.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
:frow

Emily has been an AMAZING help on BYH and we're glad to have her as a moderator here too!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
*Sticks out right hand for a handshake...

A re-introduction and a new beginning.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What kind of horses do you have?

*takes elevan through strict horse test to be accepted*

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A Morgan mare and a Shetland / Mini X gelding. The horses and potbelly pig belong to my mother and are pets...aka eye candy only :rolleyes: The Morgan mare broke my hip when I was 16 (half a lifetime ago) and was never broke to ride (I was not her only casualty). The gelding is too small for any but children to use...although he would probably be good at pulling a cart if I had the equipment to teach him.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My mom woul love to have 200 acres and be totally off the grid, too. I'm not that ambitious! :lol:

I'm Ok with what we have, but for awhile there was in a real funk where I wanted to down size to just 1-3 acres and have the pretty neat and trim yard, without the added accessory of goose poo.

:D

I'm jealous of the stock pond, too!