A really good book ............

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if it is the same book, BBH. It is about an Aleutian (sp?) girl who is accidentally left behind on a remote island when she tries to save her little brother....if I remember correctly.....and how she survives by her wits until found many, many years later.

etr, I read it for the first time in fifth grade at age ten. At that age, at least, I was not overly disturbed by life and death. My parents spent a lot of time teaching me and my sibs. My mother also had us watch documentaries on the Holocaust, complete with scenes of naked, emaciated, dead bodies being pitched into a communal grave and the gas chambers and such. Both my parents were natural teachers. They did not count on our public school teachers to teach us the lessons that were really important, but to come to our own conclusions and think for ourselves.

It might be too disturbing for some kids, but on the other hand, I am appalled at what passes for children's entertainment nowadays. Gratuitous and historical are two very different things.

I wonder if you read a version that was edited? I find that this happens more and more.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yup free that is the one. I have a copy of it, my dad gave it to me when he took me to the Sea of Cortez when I was a girl. It is fun to re-read isn't it, even as adults. :)

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Scott O'Dell has written many great books. Don't stop at Island of the Blue Dolphin. Many of the women here would appreciate the story of Sarah Bishop, I imagine. I did!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I read the Island of Blue Dolphins quite a few years ago too, I thought it could have been written better, but based on the lack of info and all that it was pretty good.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
They still read Island of the Blue Dolphins in the schools around here. I don't think I've ever read it cover to cover.

Latest posts