A small rant regarding my husband

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have kept standard trees at smaller sizes by summer pruning- and the goaties got the trimmings- yummy. There are lots of books on pruning out there-web info too I imagine. It's not hard- you just need to know how your particular tree sets fruit and be able to recognize a fruiting spur. There are pollenization issues too that it is nice to know.
Not at all hard but you do need to keep at it- like with multiple variesties on one tree thing.
I think that if I was not as old as I am, I would get some semi-dwarf and standards. Now I don't have time to wait for my rewards-lol.
The deer thing is right too- at least for dwarf- a lot of semi's will get high enough. But all trees need deer proofing to get to any height at all if deer are a problem. Bear are great at breaking down trees too.

I have one super dwarf that produces giant apples on a tree that stays at 4-5 feet at 20 years old-even the dog steals fruit from that one.

allterrainwarrior

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Quail,

I don't want to take sides here. But it seems like the issue your husband is having is long term and not short for the care and upkeep of the trees. In his mind he is probably thinking that once the romance is gone from obtaining the trees, he will be left with the extensive hard work and care of them until you both die. You know as well as he does the hard work that goes into maintaining what you guys currently have. A good rule of thumb is to see how much emotion is balanced with practicality and "if" your emotions heavly outweigh what is practical, it might be a good idea to take a step back and reevaluate your decision. Im not a counsler and im not professing to be some know it all about relationships or anything. But sometimes straight talk can get the ideas back on the right track. Good luck and Apple Pie sounds great!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Pruning issues or not, its never a bad idea to plant a tree....especially one that makes food. I live on a property that has approx. 16 very overgrown, very tall apple trees that used to be tended by the old fellow that planted them. He had grafted, pruned and otherwise carefully tended these trees until he died.

All the years since, I doubt those trees have received any attention, other than the pruning and topping I did this past year. They produce tons of apples for several families and for the animals that eat the insects and the fallen fruits. My dog probably eats around 50 each day alone! They provide shade, habitat and food for countless birds and insects, not to mention oxygen for our own needs. Never a bad idea to plant a fruit tree, regardless of the work that it may or may not involve!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
To be honest, I would be perfectly fine with having standard unpruned apple trees on the property. I am not bothered by the fact that as they get bigger they will eventually produce smaller apples. They would still be edible right?

I am not talking an entire orchard of apple trees, I am only wanting 3 apple trees. Well, not even 3, just 3 come in the package I want to order. The only apple tree I want in the package is the Jonathon Apple.

My reason for wanting the standards is they produce fruit longer than the dwarfs. I am not opposed to having dwarfs either, I am willing to plant both. And I have explained that to him.

It isn't such a big issue that we sit and argue over what trees to get. I was just frustrated with him at the time of my initial post because sometimes it just seems like we have to do it his way no matter what because he believes his way is better, always, no matter what.

He has told me I can get the trees, but he isn't going to have to climb a 16 foot ladder to prune them :|

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL
Me and Tony go thru this alot on the farm.....he wants something specific and I want "my" specific...LOL

I decided to let things be his, and others be mine. Somethings we don't share....he works the hogs, I have almost no say in this, I don't want it.......he has almost no say in how my goats are handed...yet he does all the hard work of the goats for me..LOL

So pick and choose. Let the "fruits" be his and maybe you can pick something else to put all your hard ingenuity into.......this is just the easiest way for me to handle all the million of farm decisions.

Don't get me started on what varities to plant each year in the fields..HA HA HA

Best of luck on your orchard!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
He just told me tonight that I can have my Jonathon Apple. That's all he is relenting to :gig

Here, the goats and garden are his and his alone. I help pick the garden stuff when it's ready, but he decides what we plant.

The chickens are mine. He has no say period! He doesn't choose what, when, how, why, or where I get my chickens or sell off my chickens. Nor does he tell me that I can't have anymore LOL

Oh and the turkeys are his. I have no say period on those. Doesn't bother me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey you got a good system like me. I think everyone wants to "control" their own little part of the world every now and then, so choosing an area for this to be yours is a good thing! Turkeys are his, chickens are yours. That way we can do what we truly want without having to compromise.

I mean, heck, we all compromise thru our marriages like crazy right? might as well have a little world of our own to control...LOL-LOL

I like when Tony controls certain aspects of the farm like the hogs and does "the hard work" when I don't want too.....this way I don't have to even THINK about the hogs or their care and such. Too much on the plate sometimes so that can be his problem, not mine..LOL

brain overload ya know..HA HA

of course he relented to your Jonathan...haha...you knew he would..HA HA