A soup thought...

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone else does this... The last time I made soup (chicken) I did not have time to make the soup after I had the stock so I froze the stock. Fast forward to a nice turkey dinner, and it's time to make stock again for soup. Well, I have a 10+ quart stock pot, so after I had the stock done, strained and ready to make soup, I added in the chicken stock. This allowed me to make a full 10 quarts of soup that was still nice and rich.

After the soup was canned I had a very full small zip-lock bag of stock after I strained what was left out. (This is very little as I use a slotted ladle to move the meat & veggies into each jar and then fill with broth) My plan is to just add this ice block of soup stock to the next batch of soup. Can I keep one of these left over stock bags going and just keep saving what does not fit in the jars, on-going??

I have a large zip-lock bag of one-ladle straight chicken stock "ice-cubes" made in those little creme-brulee cups. These come in so handy it is not funny!

So what do you think, do you save soup stock in order to make big batches later? It feels more productive canning ten quarts of soup over say four or five.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
When we had a separate freezer and dd and ds were still living at home, I used to make large batches of stock and freeze them in ramekin sized cubes.

Now we have a 15 cf refrigerator so the freezer area is *very* small. :p So now I make small batches and freeze less.