A technical question

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do any of you have Hughesnet satellite internet?

If so, what has your experience been?

I have hardly been on today and I looked at my download allowance and it is telling me that I have exceeded my limit.

I have been having router problems. I don't know if there is a connection with that or not.

How can I tell if someone is "stealing" my internet? Really, our driveway is at least a block long. If someone were to be tapping into our service, they would have to be closer than that, wouldn't they?

I tried calling customer support and they are closed. They have been totally useless for me in the way of support. I email them for help because I cannot understand them. I have never spoke with an American there. I don't even want to talk to them because it eats up my cell minutes because I cannot understand them.

Thanks for any input.

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We tried it, and it was pretty much useless for us. Poor reception, kept getting booted off, and just wait 'til it rains - a strong wind or rain knocks out service. Customer service was useless. When I could get anyone, they gave me the runaround, never admitting it was their problem, never would send anyone out. I was willing to pay to have the service fixed, but they wouldn't send anyone, and none of the independent people around here would work on it because HughesNet contracted out their work... should have been a heads-up for me but I didn't pay attention. I did have two computer guys look over my computer to be sure it wasn't me, and each of them said my computer worked fine with their service (one was Charter, the other Verizon).

I finally wrote them several nasty certified letters, to which I got no response (not that I expected one) and finally quit paying. Of course, to even have it hooked up I had to sign a contract, so I kept expecting them to come after me for the unpaid portion... and they may yet, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I get there.

Short answer, hated it. We have Verizon MiFii and I like it much better. Still dislike having to commit to a contract, but it was the only other solution for my location.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have WildBlue and their customer service has been top notch. They gave me a month free when I was having issues and could not figure out what the problem was, come to find out the dog ate one of the wires outside :lol: They still gave me the free month. Needless to say I have been VERY pleased with our service. Storms knock it out a lot of times, but you really can not beat their services, and I get to talk to Americans ;)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I did a test with a type of homemade wireless antenna (called a biquad) mounted on an old Primestar dish, and was able to pickup wireless networks that were literally miles from our hilltop location. It may not be the cause of your problem, but I'd recommend that you get some networking tech advice and protecting your network.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
You should have an authorization code that had to be entered when you did the initial install. After the initial install you can have it remember the code. Of course you can decide to allow it to be unprotected during initial install too.

As for routers. Better routers transfer more data. They also last longer. Our router went out and I went to WalMart and talked to some teenager that didn't know anything. What the heck. Teenagers are supposed to be computer wizzes. At any rate it was low cost as in 39.99 or so. It worked but it was really really slow.

If your setup works anything like a cell phone it will continue using time if you don't shut down and something is still running in the back ground. DW did that with her new cell. We got the data package with what should have been a reasonable amount of minutes. First time she went somewhere and logged on she didn't log off and a background program sucked all her time. We switched it to unlimited data for an extra 10.00 a month.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's a little discouraging for me too.

Mine is unlimited but I do get poorer service if too much is going on. I am constantly getting notices from my McAfee that something logs in. I have computer, cell phone, and Roku on it, but there appear to be others.

My only close neighbors have their own Internet, and referred me to my company (wi-five, which I really like, cheap, and no contract) but my wireless sometimes finds other networks from further away. I guess someone is finding me too.

Unfortunately the router I am using is a cheap, older one and I really don't think there is a way to secure it or enter a code. It's going to have to wait until I can get another job to do anything about it, I think.

sms263

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I too have Hughes and they are awful with custmer service - look up the Maryland head quarters and call them - the last time I had a problem this is what I did and I got a tech out with in 48 hrs and a months credit - now I just call Maryland and complain to them - hope that helps - Susan

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.

For now everything is acting normal with the service. If my allowance starts getting used up for unexplainable reasons again, I am going to buy a new router.

When we first moved up here, we had Wildblue and we hated it. We were always losing service no matter what the weather is like. We have our house on the highest spot on our land and there are no tall trees closer than 100 yards to the house, so we have a clear "view" of the satellite.

There is a good chance we will end up moving late spring, so we aren't going to switch providers. If I somehow find a job locally, we will switch to a local satellite internet provider.

I do have an interview tomorrow, so hopefully luck will be on my side.

Annette