A viking in the old world....

lipoptena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Maybe not a viking but at least a smallholder from Sweden. That is what I am.

I live with my family (wife + 2 children) at a smalholding (which we own) in west Sweden. At the moment we have some sheep and poultry as well as a puppy which will be trained as a hunting dog. We are definitely not self sufficient yet, but we are struggling one step at a time.

I am active (moderator) at a similar forum i Sweden and I'm keen to learn more about tendencies in the self sufficient movement abroad. Im also interested in differences to the life I live. I also write in almost every issue of the swedish self sufficient magazine ALTERNATIV, mostly on topics like hunting, butchering, lambcooking and old time fodder collecting methods.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:welcome from Tornadoville :rolleyes: USA! Glad to see you on here! :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome from changeable South Jersey!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi! Welcome from Southeast Missouri! It is so nice to get another international voice and opinion on this forum. Tell us what a smallholding is: is it what we call a "mini farm" here? 2 to 6 acres to have livestock and garden on? Do you live on your smallholding or is it separate from your house? Looking forward to hearing how you live and what self-sufficient projects you take on.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
H'lo from the rainy Northwest. Here in Oregon, I am preparing to plant potatoes by Mar. 17 (St. Patrick's day). I plant a row every couple of weeks after that. When do you start planting crops?

lipoptena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Hi! Welcome from Southeast Missouri! It is so nice to get another international voice and opinion on this forum. Tell us what a smallholding is: is it what we call a "mini farm" here? 2 to 6 acres to have livestock and garden on? Do you live on your smallholding or is it separate from your house? Looking forward to hearing how you live and what self-sufficient projects you take on.
Smallholding, got the phrase from my guru Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. Something like a minifarm. Maybe a cottage could be a suitable word as well. We have 20 acres and it gives us some 50% of the food we consume.