A year on the homestead...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK @sumi asked if someone would try to keep track of financials on the homestead for a year so we can all see what it costs to take care of all these critters. Since it's nearly the end of the year, I'll start this thread and hope to keep up with it through 2018.

I am not raising pigs this year, so I won't have pig data but I will post my numbers from previous years as I have kept track of it in the past.

I also have a pathetically small garden so I won't be keeping track of anything garden-wise but maybe someone else wants to jump in with their info!

So I'm starting the year with 5 doe goats and a buck, 10 hens and 3 roos (one will be culled shortly) and 3 heritage turkeys (one tom, 2 hens). We hope this will provide a good portion of our meat and dairy supply, along with a freezer full of pork and chicken from this past year.

Stay tuned....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this! It would be interesting to see how the year goes (and hopefully pleasantly surprising for you!)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep up with my expenses because I claim it on my taxes. I have a sales tax farm exemption which has saved us a ton of money on all the purchases we made on all the fencing, building materials, and other farm expenses.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I keep up with my expenses because I claim it on my taxes. I have a sales tax farm exemption which has saved us a ton of money on all the purchases we made on all the fencing, building materials, and other farm expenses.
Would you mind doing a thread like this as well, with all your expenses and income (meat, vegetables harvested, etc) for the year? I would love to see how things pan out over time for as many volunteers here as possible and how profitable homesteading can be financially. Especially for the people who are planning to or thinking about doing it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Would you mind doing a thread like this as well, with all your expenses and income (meat, vegetables harvested, etc) for the year? I would love to see how things pan out over time for as many volunteers here as possible and how profitable homesteading can be financially. Especially for the people who are planning to or thinking about doing it.
I can do that.