A2A2 milk

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed, and I would add: healthy meat and healthy produce MUST come from healthy soil. You can have neither of the former without first having the healthy soil! We have so abused our soil with pesticides, insecticides and fake fertilizers. While a plant does not care what the source of NPK is, I believe the soil and microbes are much more discerning.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ah, here I go again... Off on another rabbit trail! I'm clueless as to what A2A2 milk is, so I'll have to go do some researching.

I DO like Jerseys, and it's been a hope of mine for quite a while to get one of my own. As far as I can tell, A2A2 is an extra protein? I've been reading up a lot more on the pros and cons of pasteurizing and homogenization than anything else, and have been searching for some time for a local source for raw milk. Jersey would be my prefered breed. I'm not very familiar with the dexter's, having grown up surrounded by holsteins.
I don't know enough about A2A2 yet to either ask intelligent questions or to answer yours. I don't think ANYTHING about it... yet! :lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ah, here I go again... Off on another rabbit trail! I'm clueless as to what A2A2 milk is, so I'll have to go do some researching.

I DO like Jerseys, and it's been a hope of mine for quite a while to get one of my own. As far as I can tell, A2A2 is an extra protein? I've been reading up a lot more on the pros and cons of pasteurizing and homogenization than anything else, and have been searching for some time for a local source for raw milk. Jersey would be my prefered breed. I'm not very familiar with the dexter's, having grown up surrounded by holsteins.
I don't know enough about A2A2 yet to either ask intelligent questions or to answer yours. I don't think ANYTHING about it... yet! :lol:

that is what i love about these forums, you can find interesting things to ponder and talk about so easily. :) good way to spend a dreary day...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My understanding is that A2 is a genetic designation. Milk from A1 cows has a protein that is hard to digest, and is often responsible for the "lactose intolerance". A2 lacks that protein. So... I'm guessing that A2 is a recessive trait. So, an A2 A2 cow can not possibly produce offspring with the A1 trait. Someone... If I'm wrong, please correct, and perhaps link an article???

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A2A2 is supposed to be easier to digest. people that are lactose intolerant are supposed to be ok with drinking A2A2 milk.
@milkmansdaughter have you considered a Guernsey cow? They metabolize the carotenes in grasses differently that other cows, giving verse to the phrase Golden Guernseys. The milk from a grass fed Guernsey is yellow and supposedly has more available nutrients.

There is a Guernsey raw milk dairy close to us and the milk is very good. They went up too high for us, $12 per gallon, and we quit buying from them. There is also a Jersey raw milk dairy about 30 miles away, $6 a gallon, we have bought milk there, but unless we are going that way, it's too far for a couple gallons of milk. LOL I do think the Guernsey milk is the best.

My Daddy was a milk man when I was a kid and worked for an All-Jersey dairy, so I grew up drinking jersey milk. It was so good! Plus jerseys are sweet cows, the bulls are noted for being the meanest in the bovine world. Guernsey cows are sweet too, I don't know about the bulls.

thistlebloom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have raw Guernsey milk at the grocery store in my little town. It really is a pretty golden color like Bay said. It's expensive but I use it in place of half and half in my coffee. It's local and comes in glass bottles you put a deposit on.
Quite a splurge for me, but I like to think it's good to encourage and support small local farmers.

I used to buy raw milk from a farm family with Jersey X's. Don't know what the cross was. It was not on the way to anywhere and a 30 mile trip for milk was hard to justify, though it was a beautiful drive.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can't sell raw milk in VA. There are some "herd shares" around, otherwise it's all been through a lot of processing. I've been so tempted to buy a cow -- just always wanted one -- BUT my goats give me A2A2 and it's delish! Plus, I know exactly how it was made and handled I have a cream separator, pulls cream for butter and cheaper than a cow. Sorry cows.

Of course, there is a guy close with a "herd share" farm selling calves and a couple stellar Jerseys. One recently freshened and giving 5 gal a day. Just shoot me!!! But, I'm resisting. It's hard. But I can feed 1/2 my herd with just her daily feed needs. :idunno Another thing -- pellets sweep, pods don't.