Abi (and/or anybody else with fabulously awesome sewing skills)-HELP!!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, so I've decided I want to make myself some aprons. I was looking at patterns today at WM, and found this one: This ones cute too

I adore the retro, ruffled apron look :D My problem is that the available sizes are S, M, and L. I need at least one, if not 2 X's in front of the L, depending on what they're calling an L (size 16 in pants, and I've decided it doesn't matter how much weight I lose, my bust is a very stubborn 18). Is there any possibility of altering the pattern to fit?

Help!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm about to make about 6 aprons with the ruffled thing going on :D

Undyed, everyone gets to decorate their own. Dye or markers or whatever LOL.

So, yes. Very easy to make bigger. Basically you see how much bigger you need it and on the ruffles, just do it twice and tack it on the the apron. Since the apron part is just a big ol' square and needs no shaping, just make it as wide as you need.

It would be easier to show in person >.>

Anyway, aprons are VERY forgiving. Test the apron (without the ruffles) on something you can use for really messy stuff if the apron works but you aren't upset if it fails and you have to cut it down for something else.... Once the part minus ruffles is the right size, you just add more of the ruffle part :D

Mine are going to be closest to the green striped one on the 2592!!

:D

Big pockets, FULL covering, and lots of ruffles wherever I can fit them!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Okay, so I've decided I want to make myself some aprons. I was looking at patterns today at WM, and found this one: This ones cute too

I adore the retro, ruffled apron look :D My problem is that the available sizes are S, M, and L. I need at least one, if not 2 X's in front of the L, depending on what they're calling an L (size 16 in pants, and I've decided it doesn't matter how much weight I lose, my bust is a very stubborn 18). Is there any possibility of altering the pattern to fit?

Help!
Easy peasy!
Buy the biggest size, plus a roll of butcher paper.
Take a measureing tape and measure all areas the apron rests.
Then cut out the biggest size, lay it on the paper (tape together pieces if you need to) and using your measurments, use a pencil to draw the size you need.

Make a practice apron with an old sheet just to verify sizing.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I think you explained that MUCH better than I did.

*laughing*

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks! Y'all are awesome! I like the design on the green striped pattern, too, but I think it needs at least one more ruffle :)

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those ruffled ones are cute!

Take measurements on yourself, cause you're going to need to know that. You can kinda see on the patterns how it works out from the different sizes and you should be able to guess about where your size would be. The pattern you have, of course, won't do you much good as far as pinning it out and cutting it, but I would copy it over to a larger sheet of paper, newspaper or freezer paper should work (you can cut out the larger size and tape it down and draw out from there. Sketch and kinda follow the pattern of lines and curves out to where you think it might be for your size. Use your tape measure and see how close you are. Better to add too much fabric than too little. You'll need to buy extra yardage on your fabric to accommodate. It shouldn't be too far off from what is called for on the pattern for something like an apron. You can pin or baste the pieces once you've got them cut out and try it on to see how it's working out and adjust from there. That's how I would do it anyway. :)

Good luck!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I just borrowed Apron*ology magazine from a friend and I'm totally inspired to make some fun ones! I also need them slightly larger than the commercially made ones. I was looking at some I have in my pantry thinking I really can do this! I can use them as a pattern and add on whatever I want. I bought a cute little retro ruffle one that was on clearance somewhere for $2. I can easily copy it and just make the parts a little larger where I need. I can do this. I can I can!!
The magazine shows some that were made from old men's shirts, old jeans and pillow cases, etc. Now I'm dying to get the Salvation Army to see what I can find to cut apart!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I agree with expanding the pattern on a piece of paper and making it out of an old sheet or something first for practise, without the ruffles.
I have often used old sheets to make patterns. I handstitch them to see how they work. Once I have it right, it is easy to undo and either make a paper pattern or use the fabric pattern in the future.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Denise, I do the same. I buy buck a yard fabric when stuff is on clearance, and I just baste it to practice.

Latest posts