? about mylar bags, and oxygen absorbers

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so I finally tried mine yesterday,

and well some of my bags aren't as tightly pushed down (sucked in) as I had hoped,
does that mean I need to do those over?

I am guessing yes, I have seen videos of mylar bags that are all sucked in tight like

I am guessing I didn't do my initial pushing of air out well enough since I was rushing around all worried about getting them sealed up in time ....only about half way through did I think to do that part more carefully...(however I also noticed the loose bags are grain, the tight bags are flour and sugar, perhaps that has somethin to do with it?)

I guess it's no biggie really, I just wanted to get this project done, not half done...

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. They'll store fine anyway. The seal on the bags is actually more important than the oxy-packs or amount of air in the bags.

Sugar will need shaken up every few months to keep it from solidifying. Flour may also - and may only store for about six to nine months before it starts tasting bitter (depending on the moisture content in the bags).

Grains will be fine for years and years as long as the bags don't get punctured.

That is all true even without oxy-packs. The oxy-packs just extend the life even further.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did 3 five pound bags of rice a few days ago in gallon mylar bags. One of them sucked up like it was vaccumed sealed . then in a few days it was like the others. I thought I had goofed until I checked on line..