? about the easy wine recipe...

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
has anyone tried to actually bottle it? i read thru the thread and saw that someone tried the canning jars, but what about wine bottles??? i have a 5 gal bucket going right now, and am wondering what to do with it long term....... other than drink it! but i cant see drinking that much wine before it starts warping the canning covers.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IMO I would treat it as any other wine. I would let it do it's thing, let it clear, make sure it is done working and bottle it. If you want to make sure it is done working so it don't blow up your wine bottles put some potassium sorbate and a campden tablets in it,..this kills any action going on. Good luck! :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband is the wine maker here and I am the dumb muscle. I keep saying I will have to do a bit of studying, just incase he is detained or abducted or something, but I haven't yet. Well I can tell you know enough to at least get you to the end or near end of the process.
The last time DH did bottling around me, he broke his corker and ordered another one, but while he was waiting, he put some loose corks on the bottles. He said that if it was going to let anything out or blow, it was better it happened with a loose fitting cork and that he knew it was just about ready for corking, but waiting a while with those would insure more safety. After about 3 days, if the cork isn't coming off, he can put a permanant cork. He has about 4 batches going now, I think, so if he breaks a leg or a tree falls on him, I have some serious studying to do.
The threat of a bottle bursting is real. My dad had that happen to him many times. And it can happen with a mason jar too. Best to make sure its finished fermenting.
With the bit of second-hand knowledge I have obtained from DH, I would have to say that its worth a try, but by all means, continue studying.