absessed tooth(gum)

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
other than warm salt water rinse what do you use

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had one last year, had to have antibiotics for a week to bring down the infection, then had it pulled. :( Vicodin for the pain, which I hated, so switched over to Motrin.

Now, home remedies? That's another story, I'll let others chime in. ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For the pain...use a few drops ( or just a few capfulls) of Vanilla. Its tastes bad, but works instantly! THEN go get some antibiotics..get that infection out of there. If it gets into the bloodstream, you will have BIG troubles. My son let his go too long, they had to put a tube in through his neck to drain the infection out..for like a week! YUK!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Clove oil or powdered cloves will relieve the pain very well. But please see about antibiotics asap. Blood poisoning can ensue if you leave it alone.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Is the abcess about even with the root of a tooth? A tooth with a cavity, filling or crown? Is it recurring?

If yes, go see your dentist - you might need a root canal on the tooth in order to (permanently) heal the abcess(es).

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The problem with a tooth abscess is that the tooth (or parts such as the nerve) are rotting, and creating a pocket of decaying matter - a haven of bacteria. As long as the source of that decay is still there, the infection will come back as soon as the antibiotics wear off. Root canal, or pulling the tooth is the solution to that.

I'm not sure oil pulling would work - it might be worth a try, IF the oil can get down into the area where the abscess is and if it can flush out the decaying matter. I think it is probably a remote possibility, but I could be wrong. Frankly, if I had a tooth go off on me right now, I'd try it before I'd go to the dentist, because I simply cannot afford a root canal. But I suspect you'd have a problem then of the tooth still being open, and a ready repository for decaying food, which would introduce another infection.

The thing is, your pain level will generally be a pretty good clue. I mean, if you try a remedy that is NOT specifically a numbing or pain killing agent, and that remedy results in a reduction of pain, then it is likely reducing the infection. If the pain increases again, then the infection is gaining ground.

Heat can help also, but it takes a LOT of fairly high heat, constantly applied, to have any affect. And then if you take it off for a while, the infection can come back really fast. This is why traditional medicine used poultices, hot onions, etc. It wasn't necessarily the mustard in the plaster or the onion, but the heat that did the trick, IF you kept it hot and applied all the time.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
An infected tooth left untreated can potentially lead to blood poisoning. It's simply not worth avoid the dentist just to save money. Some things are worth the money.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agh, I'm suffering from one right now. I swear, I am the root canal queen and on drugs again.

I'll echo some other posts, call the dentist. When you have no cavity, no visible problem (like a filling falling out), then you have no choice.
Sometimes the root canal doesn't do it. I got to pay for a root canal and then later got to pay to have the tooth pulled. Yay....

If your gums are receding and infection is from food debris getting up into the gum, use a water pic to flush it out. It will hurt like crazy when you hit the spot, but it will be worth it later. Then use that water pic faithfully. I put a bit of Listerine or baking soda with the water in mine when I use it, then run clear water through it to keep the tube cleaned out.

If you have a filling that fell out, some clove oil will help, then use some wax from a birthday candle to fill the hole and make an appointment with the dentist.

I have paid for two BMW's for dentists through the years. No matter how careful I was with my teeth, they just die, one at a time. Root canal, crown, tooth breaking off below gum, then pull tooth and pay for bridge or partial - repeat. Hate it.