ACV question

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I am growing my own apple cider vinegar- I used about a cup of unpasturized, unfiltered ACV from the co-op and added unfiltered (but pasturized- all I could find) apple cider. It has been sitting almost 2 months, and I tasted it this morning, it is still a bit sweet, but getting vinegar-y! :D My question is I have what I assume is the mother growing in it- large slimey looking icky island. How do you filter that out when you want to use the vinegar and still keep the mother to start the next batch? I thought a paper coffee filter? but then I'd have to scrape the slime off the filter and put it back in the jar. Is there anything in the paper that I would have to worry about? More work, but I thought I could boil some cheesecloth and filter it out, then just dunk the cheesecloth in the apple cider to re-infect it. Would that work?

How do you do finish it?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly how I filtered mine out. I either used a metal strainer or I might have used a cloth liner in the strainer. It wasn't difficult though. I am storing mine in a jar with some of the vinegar and hoping fo the best. I plan on making more this summer, even if I have to buy the apples (I can get good local ones at a reasonable price)

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Holy cow! I had no idea this could be done "at home"!!!!!

Very interesting!

Watching thread for more info :pop

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I dumped some raw braggs in to a crock of dandelion wine that was starting to turn. I am hoping to get some vinegar out of it. If I can get some unpasteurized apple juice I will add that too.

Latest posts