1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendars- ORDER NOW!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Featured Thread: How do you skin your potatoes?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Adding new chickens to our flock

Discussion in 'Livestock On Your Homestead' started by MoonShadows, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Feb 15, 2017
    waretrop

waretrop Almost Self-Reliant

Well, I should have about 90 but when I get babies in and grow them up it fluctuates. And then get rid of the old ones... Ninety if the magic number....lol

baymule likes this.
  2. Feb 16, 2017
    MoonShadows

MoonShadows Almost Self-Reliant

That's a lot of chickens!

waretrop likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2017
    waretrop

waretrop Almost Self-Reliant

Yes it is...Selling my eggs at the moment is not important but when my hubby retires, sometime in the future, that will be part of our income to help keep the "little estate" going... The greenhouse will start selling plants again, it does not do that at the moment.

All these things will keep us active along with being in money to play with.

Right now our chickens get totally cleaned out every Saturday, even if its a holiday or not...It actually is easy. The way we have it set up, it only takes 90 minutes...Doesn't smell, for the lost part....we use allot of lime...that makes it all work.

4. Feb 16, 2017
    MoonShadows

MoonShadows Almost Self-Reliant

Sounds like a plan.

I would love to expand our planting and open a farm stand out of and around that old stone garage you see in front of the small beige rental house on our property where we could sell produce and our jar products (Running Valley gets a lot of traffic), but our home business and regular chores keep me so busy and tired at the end of the day, it remains a dream. Besides, I would probably run into problems with Hamilton Township. And, switching gears like that after 60 would mean a drop in income from the home biz while we do more planting and build the farm stand up, but who knows, perhaps I might find a happy medium some day.

waretrop likes this.