ADHD Linked to Pesticides

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Organophosphates were originally developed for chemical warfare, and they are known to be toxic to the nervous system.
i get sick as hell from them. you know how you feel the day after a really bad bout of stomach flu? that's me with exposure to organophophates and things like deet.

fun.

so they're discovering poisons might be bad? good on you, scientists! good on you!

eta: along the same lines... processed meat is bad for you ...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
While I am sure pesticides don't help matters, I think diet (as in a high carb diet) has more to do with it. I know I am WAY more scattered on sugar/starch/grains.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:he
The way this news story is being presented is driving me nuts! Around here the teaser goes "why fresh fruits and veggies might be BAD for you child" :barnie What about the chips, donuts, french fries, soda, milk-type drinks and other sugar laden CRAP?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Agreed.....It is stupid and we all already know pesticides are bad, now the mainstream is going to feel safer sending their kid to school with a Lunchable
:smack

Wifey....me too! Way more scattered with grains in my diet! I used to live in brain fog and was diagnosed and medicated for ADD. :rant

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, let me use a little 3rd grade logic (or maybe even kindergartener)
Pesticides kill living creatures.
WE are living creatures.

How could they possibly be harmless to us?!?

At least its a touch of progress, not sure how much this will effect the market though.

*loathes living in cotton country*

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My oldest son has severe neurological issues...and one thing that has always stood out in my mind as the cause is the meds (cream) I used for three weeks or more to try and get rid of a scabies outbreak I contracted while pregnant for him. Those creams are NOT safe for pregnant women, but I was prescribed it by my doctor...I am certain that it had something to do with the issues my son exhibited from birth on.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been reading a couple of different articles about younger children with ADHD and read one article that had stated that several parents knew very close to birth that their infant was not normal. What's ironic is that I knew before I even delivered that he was WAY more active than normal. I just about had a heart attack on morning when he hadn't moved in 3 hours. And that is with me working on my feet all day walking around. He would move constantly no matter what I did or ate. As an infant, he was extremely demanding and impatient. We had to adhere to an extremely strict schedule (his choice) and he would fuss if I was off by so much as 15-30 minutes. He would only sleep if he was being stimulated by swing or rocking. He had colic for the first 6 months of his life. He moved ALL the time. I couldn't make eye contact with him during his night feedings because if I did, it was enough to stimulate him into full conciousness. Seriously, it was insane. His toddler attention symptoms were that he couldn't pay attention to anything (even his favorite toys), he had a hard time learning to speak and he'd almost never look you in the eye (and to this day still has a hard time with that). His impusitivity symptoms were his tantrums were almost a constant at one point, almost constant movement (see a trend here?), he walked at 7 months with help, walked unassisted at 9 months, he learned to climb the table at 12 months, how to open ALL doors to the house by 18 months (even how to work the locks), destroyed whatever room he was in if I left for even just as long to take a bathroom break, still maintained a rigid schedule, etc. As a preschooler, it is pretty much more of the same. He's smart as a whip but behind other kids his age because he doesn't have the attention span to sit and learn things like letters, numbers, etc. He is still speech delayed and that is something that he'll be getting help with when he starts school in the fall (maybe sooner, depends on what the school decides). The thing with ALL of this is: at almost every one of his pediatrician appointments I brought up that these were above and beyond "normal" childrens behavior and was more or less told that he'd grow out of it or that we weren't being consistent with discipline. I'm not blaming the pedi but am saying that they seriously need to look into these kinds of behaviors. I know that not all children that have these signs/symptoms will develop ADHD but when a mom is coming in frustrated at almost every one of the appointments you'd think they'd (the dr's) look into possible neurological issues like adhd. :he :barnie :somad :rant Ok, I'm sorry. My rant has gone wild and is over.

As far as the article, well, it's an idiot that doesn't realize that poisons will indeed kill humans. As a link to ADHD, I suppose it's possible. Time will tell I guess.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Javamama said:
:he
The way this news story is being presented is driving me nuts! Around here the teaser goes "why fresh fruits and veggies might be BAD for you child" :barnie What about the chips, donuts, french fries, soda, milk-type drinks and other sugar laden CRAP?
They aren't presenting it quite that way here but the message is coming across the same. It's as if they are saying this is the cause of ADHD. We all know it isn't that simple! I have fed my son as many organic foods as possible and his school still wants him evaluated for ADD. Now that we've discovered all his food allergies and have gotten him off those foods we are starting to see improvement.