ADVENTURE'S DOWNUNDER OR FARMING IN PARADISE:An Old Rams view.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Finally someone who is up in the morning before me!! ;)

Just amazing.

So this may be a simple question but how do you "herd" all those sheep from one pasture to another?

The pictures are wonderful.

Thank you for sharing.

g

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yes, I'm in Colorado and it's permanent drought. I'll keep my opinions about where our water goes to myself...

But even rain water on your property isn't yours. It's illegal to collect it in most cities! lol.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow...my brother is in downtown Atlanta where there is a permanent water shortage so they bought a tiny lot and went vertical with the house and only have a postage stamp sized lawn in the back for the dogs and put in different types of rocks in the front of the property in lieu of grass. They have a hard time growing anything cause they have to do it in containers and are limited on how much water they can use for anything.

I can't imagine having to take care of livestock under severe drought conditions...those pictures are so dramatic!

Do you have any other animals, or just the sheep?

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day Gang and thanks for dropping by,Well today is a 'shocker",it got down to 3.5C and its only 11.5C now with a wind chill of about 5C(it was -1c in the village last night.They say there have been "snow showers"today on the peaks....

Jenny gave herself a rest from the "pickles" and is stacking some "split logs"into the wood-shed.I moved the 250odd head to a paddock with some shelter from the wind at lunch time,so now I'm hiding" " in the office.(LOL).

Questions and Answers:Mustering sheep ,I have a system and two dogs,if I am just checking the sheep I walk through them "with-out"making "eye contact",if I am moving them I whistle its a series of high and low tones and the sheep just know its time to move.Most of the time I keep the "dogs" close and send them to the "wings"if they start to spread out to much. (Tankshill)

3282_img_1537.jpg

Water:We store all our house water in two 7000gal tanks,we only get water if it rains.All of our "stock water is in surface "dams",when the drought was really bad we were down to 4 dams and if they had dried up we would have had to "sell"all of our stock,but we got "lucky" and a few good falls kept us going until the "break came".

Now we still have to cover "preparing for the next dry spell"(but I think we will save that one ).So till next time,best wishes.

.....................................................T.O.R................................

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great photos! Very interesting. I have a friend in Australia who suffered through the drought - then they had a locust infestation, now it is mice. Always an extreme it seems.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Courgettes are zucchinis. It's French, but also used by Brits and Aussies.

Lovely dogs, they look very intelligent as well. Shepherding dogs just amaze me, my brother has a border collie cross and she is smart as a whip.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I wonder if I could actually sell them if I called them that here? When people ask what they are, you could say "Oh, they're a special heirloom, organically grown sun-ripened French squash." What do you think... $5/lb? :gig