ADVENTURE'S DOWNUNDER OR FARMING IN PARADISE:An Old Rams view.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry Old Ram, it seems I completely missed the point of the book. I did not approach it with an open mind and I thought it was a track on sustainable farming. Remember I must choose my words carefully because of this forum we are using. This sustainable farming is the latest fad to appear on our farming college campuses. It sounds good when applied to one small farm but if everybody were to use it every one would have to move back to the farms and raise their own food and there would not be enough land to support the population in the inefficient methods being preached. It grew out of the Organic movement and the buy local movement and mostly appeals to those who have never farmed!
Of course a book that gets you to think about the outcome of your decisions before you put them in action is a good thing. Years ago I had an email debate with an Englishman who was switching out of waterfowl and into sheep for two main reasons; the government would give him a subsidy on the wool produced and he could pasture his sheep on the commons. I dont know if the concept of commons ever made it to Australia but it sure made it to the western USA. Our famous cowboys first worked on the open range which was our name for commons. Their employers were often rich Englishmen either back in the old country or second sons who were encouraged to get and stay out of England. The system failed for three reasons; the Homestead Act where our government would give title to common land to people who would live on the land (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Act for details. the wire fence, and the fact that no one really had any incentive to preserve and protect the common land.
I predicted to my English buddy that the same would happen to his village commons and it did. Within 4 years he was back out of the sheep business because the commons were a waste from overgrazing by people raising sheep just for the subsidy. This was in Green old England where they had all the rain anyone would want and then some.
Q What about the dogs how many do you have, just the 4 named to date?
The Church lady was from the Jehovahs Witnesses. You have them too at Ingleburn, NSW 1890. The tornado changed my opinion of the churches. Their aid was faster and more organized than even local government. I dont remember any from the J.W. but I feel I owe them (as a whole) at least the courtesy to listen to their messages. While I was up North (I sold my old house) I bought me a small plot of land to hold my ashes for my 69th birthday. Speaking of which, I need to quit and get dressed as I expect the post lady to deliver papers to me to sign and return to close the deal on the house. ~gd

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day Gang ,its raining and "blowing a gale" this morning so I thought I would take a little time to answer ~gd's post.

On the subject of the Dogs there is one more member of the "family" and that's Millie,she is also a Mini Foxie,but not as mini as Tess,currently she is living with Tom as we have the fox baits out and she was "seasoning",when she" has" and Jenny sells her pups, it pays for a whole years food for all of the "dogs".(Tom is "very" cheap to feed as he loves "rabbit")
3282_img_0837.jpg
Last time she was pregnant.
3282_img_0870.jpg
Here was the result.

We have two area which would come close to your "commons",Local councils have started to set-up community gardens,where ratepayers can obtain a plot and grow vege's.The other one's are in the ACT(Australian Capital Territory).They were "pony paddocks" which "horsey" people could use,but during the "drought" they were reduced to "weed infested" dust-bowls.

Please pass on "my apology" to the Church lady,we do nothing to encourage "un-solicited"advances from people "pushing there own wheelbarrow".This little plot of land ,is it in a "memorial park" or cemetery?Glad you were able to sell the house OK ,it should help with the rising cost of living.

On the subject of "Sustainable Farming ",we follow the "broad concept" because it is "cost effective",but then we are not trying to "feed the world".

Well it appears that today will be a "non- event",so I had better "pop" over to BYH to see how the "feed thread " is going.regards ...................T.O.R....................................

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
We shouldn't have mentioned the browns. They woke up because their "ears were burning". At least it kept on going. You and Jenny still had quite an adventure with the Echidna.

I'm glad your sale went well. That always helps your day. :)

I have a spot in the local community garden here. It's tiny, but it still helps with veggies and herbs for us. It was a bad season for the veggies this summer, but the herbs did really well.

It's been a really long day, so I'm keeping this short tonight. Thanks for giving us a peek into your life and some insight.

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day Gang,Today has been a "hectic one",first thing it was a trip into the village to pick-up a new run of fox baits,while I was in town I went to the Rural Supply Store to get some more Dolomite(they ran out 3 weeks ago ).Finally they had some stock,loaded up 3 bags ,checked the P.Office for mail and off and away for home.....This weekend is a "long weekend"(3days),so I put up some fresh signs telling passes by that we have Fox Baits out(that should keep away the weekend shooters and their "dogs")...As all the mix containers were empty I made up two batches and set about replenishing there stocks,while I was out I had a look at some of the baits ,one more had been taken ,so I will replace it tomorrow...After lunch got the dogs and mustered the wether portion of the "mad 100 ",put them in the yards and gave them a drench..I put Jack back on his tether and set off with Ruby to take the Lambs about 3/4 km to there new paddock,we had to go through 3 gates on the way ,Ruby handled them very "nicely" ,they were "strung out" along a fence-line and she applied "just" enough "pressure" to keep them at walking pace,once through the last gate ,she got a "big pat and well done"and we headed back to the shed where her kennel is.When we were about 300yds away I told her "BOX"and away she went and was waiting there when I got to her to put her on her chain........

There does not look like we have many left to lamb now(except the "old ewe's"),so in a week or so I will have to start marking the lambs.Then I have to get back to the "spraying" ,when this wind drops,they say we are in for another "cold burst" with the likelihood of storms and some rain.OH well ,light the fire and do some reading.

How do you all feel about another exercise on "Systems Thinking"?..Lets say we look at "Kidding/lambing in the "dead" of Winter."Perhaps we could explore some alternatives and look at the "above and below the line impacts",what say you all?

I think thats about enough for this post ,hope you enjoyed yourselves and we can look forward to seeing you again(maybe,just maybe I can "tempt" you to leave a post),regards T.O.R.......................................

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gday Ram, Ill start by cleaning some old points. I love the picture of Millie pregnant [the eyes ears and tail tell the story or I miss my guess]. The term commons is seldom used in the USA anymore, in urban-suburban areas they are parks, and in the rural West (our Outback) Government lands which are often leased or rented to adjoining landowners. Anything with a water source are usually under long term lease with the dry parts rented in dry years when cattle need more acres to graze near owned land which has a water source.
Yesterdays post: I know that missing fox bait usually indicates a dead fox, but is the system working? You havent mentioned any lambs lost to foxes so I have to assume it is. The dolomite is for your veggie gardens since you mentioned the soil there would eat limestone forever or something to that effect.
Stupid question, why chain your dogs? Will they bother the sheep if allowed to run free?
I started this at 3 AM local time, hunt and peck mostly left handed. I sprained my right index finger Thursday morning and I needed something to do while I was waiting for the painkiller to kick in (Sat morning) It has, so back to bed for me! ~gd

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day Gang,welcome back to the "magical mystery tour".Today started early as I had to "break-down" a lamb for the freezer(but more about that later).After "breakie" it was off to check the fox baits ,I knew that I had to replace and as it turned out another one went last night as well.By lunch-time the weather was "closing in" so got the dogs fed and sat down for a relaxing afternoon.

Q & A:.."THANK YOU" Lady H for your very nice comments on the pic's,we have not heard from you since the "water tanks "discussion(please, don't leave it that long before your next post,as I do enjoy your comments).

~gd:Its hard for us to judge how many lambs we lose to the foxes as we "paddock lamb"in sheltered paddocks so all the lambs are not obvious as you walk around....Yes ,we do use the Dolomite in the "vegie" garden ,but it is also the principal ingredient in the mineral mix because of its Cal/Mag balance...Working dogs work, if you have them just running about ,they will find their own work either on "your place" or worse still on your neighbors place......Hope that hand heals up fast ,if I had to type left handed all posts would come to an end.

Events of this past week or so have reminded me as to the reason for some of our "practices".Regular visitors will know that we joined some "old ewe's" that did not sell in the Fall,a week ago one lambed ,twins,she mis-mothered them and lost both,another one ,which turned out to be a lamb(just 12mths old)had prolapsed,so I ran her over to the shed.It turned out she was "carrying" twins ,they were nearly full term,but there is no way she could have given birth successfully,she was just not "mature" enough.Anyway she dressed out to be about $150.00 in meat at Supermarket prices....This is the reason that we don't lamb our maidens until they are 2yrs old.....
On another subject,I was "chipping" the "odd" Thistle today when I found the first "worm" in the paddocks,at last we are seeing the results of the increase in "organic matter and increasing soil carbon".We have always used Dung Beetle friendly Drenches and there efforts in enriching the soil with there disposal of sheep manure is sure "cheap fertilizer".

Well ,so ends another day hope your visit was an enjoyable one,regards for now .T.O.R............................

I will leave you with a"Foggy morn at the farm"
3282_102_2220.jpg

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gday again, I got a good long sleep after the painkiller kicked in, I suspect there is a bit of poppy in it. The Doc. warned me that I was likely to have a bit of arthritis in that finger since the last two joints were effected (judged by how I flinched when he moved the joints, gentle not so much, but fast!). My smart a-- nephew suggested I try thumb typing like the young do with the cell phones, hate to admit it but it is better than hunt and peck.
Sorry about the dumb questions this early AM I am going to blame them on the poppy and the hour. I knew you paddock lambed and I know fox like to drag and stash what they dont eat right away. Same with the dog question. Mineral mix never really made an impression on me but what other minerals do you provide? [Chemist curiosity]
One final dumb question are those things rising above the fog in your great picture considered hills or mountains down under? ~gd

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G,day Gang, unfortunately this will be the last post for the journal,due to ongoing problems with our ISP,thank's to all of you who have contributed to the fun involved in writing it,maybe it can be re-activated again in the future,regards for now T.O.R.....................

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, if your email still works drop me a line. ( I don't use the email provided by my ISP) ~gd