Adventures of OkieAnnie's "homestead"

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
OkieAnnie,

I just wanted to say welcome..I have enjoyed reading about your place..it sounds like you are doing really well on your SS path. Reducing garbage is a great goal :)

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
We picked about a dozen strawberries today. :) yumm. Our strawberry plants are small, but starting to get runners and I am excited that they have grown so well (as in I haven't killed them off ) and hopefully next year they will still be going very strong. :fl

sooo, something very interesting. A family that lives to the west of us has expressed their loathing for my neighbors dog. Yesterday as I was leaving for work their son was putting something in my neighbors mailbox. I found that very curious. This boy is never on our street. We have a gate at the back of our property that leads to their property so our boys have a short cut to play together.

Anywho . . about an hour later Jonathan calls my husband at work and reports that he has hear 3 shotgun shots. We have not seen that crazy dog since. We know of atleast 6 families who have more than expressed frustration to the owner, so I am wondering what happened.

We will see if that dog turns up anytime soon. I did leave a hose out yesterday in my garden, by accident, and it wasn't chewed to bits this morning, which means that the dog was not out last night. Infact I have never left anything out over night without having her chew it up, no matter what it is.

So, anything SS today, other than our strawberries? I don't think so. I am calling and reducing our trash cans to 1 from 2 tomorow. I am so stocked about that.

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
ok, I am so frustrated with my co-workers. I sat near a bunch of realy great people, but when the company reconfigured our queue and hours of operation I am now on a new team. This is a bunch of winner babies. Oh, they complain about everything, place customers on hold, talk rudely about the customers, including cursing, (placing the customer on mute, most of the time) so agrivating.

I work in a call center. The tough part is allot of times my customers hear these crazies complaining about the poor souls that they have on the phone. They were complaining about being moved from the billing department to my troubleshooting department. Now, they are taking calls for billing to help out with the release of a new device. They are complaing about it! We just found out we are not working on July 3rd in celebration of 4th of July and they are cursing about it! uggghhh :barnie
it realy bothers me. So, one of them started spraying this fragrance that has set my eyes to burning and I am breaking out in hives.

So, I am done ranting. I just don't understand how you can have a job and be so negative about every aspect of it. I don't know why they have so little courtesy. We are a call center, they should keep their voices down. When I try to be postive they lash out at me. So, now I am done. I hope I can keep it cool with my customers, that I enjoy helping, I don't want to get irritated with them because of my cube neighbors.

So . . I need my daughter to sing Zippity Doo Dah for me. She is just sweet as pie. ahh, now I really am good. :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Gee whiz..... I missed your journal somewhere along the line.

:welcome (better late than never)

I can't believe that someone else likes the movie Pollyanna. One of my all time favorites right along with Beauty and the Beast. My DH says 55+ year old women should be past that point. LOL only because he hates those movies.

I do wish I could reduce my trash more. But for some reason there are things I just can't give up. I guess I had to pick my battles and trash just was not worth the effort.

I will try to do better...... I say that everytime I take a bag out.

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
2dream said:
Gee whiz..... I missed your journal somewhere along the line.

:welcome (better late than never)

I can't believe that someone else likes the movie Pollyanna. One of my all time favorites right along with Beauty and the Beast. My DH says 55+ year old women should be past that point. LOL only because he hates those movies.

I do wish I could reduce my trash more. But for some reason there are things I just can't give up. I guess I had to pick my battles and trash just was not worth the effort.

I will try to do better...... I say that everytime I take a bag out.
I guess SS is kinda like raising kids, you have to pick your battles. . . ;)
I love PollyAnna and Beauty and the Beast because those great gals were able to overlook everyone else (the Johnny rainclouds) and persisted and made the world around them a better place. sigh . . if only I were that patient. I am working on it, though ;)

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
So, this weekend we did quite a bit of work around our place. We have invited our church, some work friends, friends and neighbors to a 3rd of July party (I have to work on the 4th). It is great motivation to get some more work done around the place.
For Father's Day and our oldest DS birthday, we made home made pizza's last night. Everyone got to make their own pizza and it was so much fun. Today DS is 14. I can't believe it. We made a cake this morning after I made him his favorite eggs and sausage for breakfast. DH and oldest DS hauled a bunch of trees that are down to the back of the property. I started crocheting again. I am making scrubbies from plastic bags.

The boys are at Scouts tonight with hubby and DD. I bet they are having a great time. I am at work, which I do enjoy, but there are a few "Johnny Rainclouds" that sit near me. Sometimes it just drags me down and gets under my skin. I guess I need tougher skin. ;)

So, we have been getting strawberries. I love them. They are small and we only have 5 plants, but we already have runners going and I am hoping that we will get more and possibly get another varriety to add next year.

So, that is it for today. Not allot going on today for me as far as SS goes.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I would love to see some pics of your scrubbies. I don't crochet. Not coordinated enough. LOL But I love to see everyones projects.

You are right on the Pollyanna and Beauty and the Beast gals. Funny I use to be one of those people. My DH keeps asking me what happened to that optimistic/everything will be all right girl he married. I keep telling him - crappy people happened. LOL

Thanks for the "Picking your battles" statement. Made me feel much better.

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
You are most welcome, 2Dream. I am trying my hardest to keep the mean people near me from making me too cranky . . we will see how that goes. I will try to post pics of the scrubbies. I am technology challenged. :gig Funny that I do tech support! I am good at my job, though.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hallo! I'm sorry your co-workers are so negative. Once you stop caring about what they think, it'll get easier. Or, it did for me. Sometimes I'm so frustrated because certain co-workers make us all look bad. I work at JoAnn's at the cutting table. Sometimes a customer will ask a simple question of a certain lady and she'll just go "no." No suggestions or anything. Drives me nuts! But I made up my mind to be happy and talk about my interests, and the nicer co-workers are happy to chat. The others... Well, who cares? Good luck!

Oh, and I'm happy your family is going along with SS living! I'm sure it's easier with them behind you.

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
Thank you, HennyPenny. I will try to remember to not let them get to me. Isn't it sad that just a few cranky's can make the rest of the jolly people get cranky too? For the most part my co-workers are great.