Advice Needed About Renting Chicken Plucker

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can rent an almost new Featherman tub style plucker for $25 a day. For the scalder and plucker it would probably be a bit more.

So far it hasn't been needed as my ancient table top plucker has been sufficient.

But I consider that a steal for a $1k+ plucker. $50 a day doesn't sound all that outrageous to me, and most folks could probably do the job in a day.

Me, I wouldn't send my birds to someone else, even if it was cheaper. If I do them myself, I know it was done right and the birds well-treated up to the point of death. If I just wanted cheap, I would go to Walmart.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Buster said:
Me, I wouldn't send my birds to someone else, even if it was cheaper. If I do them myself, I know it was done right and the birds well-treated up to the point of death. If I just wanted cheap, I would go to Walmart.
Did I detect a hint of arrogant judgement?

Well, according to my hubby, time is money, and he would only have to work an hour of OT to pay for the processing of 50 birds, with alot less frustration, and doing it ourselves would take the four of us all day. He wins, especially after trying to do the meaties ourselves. And FWIW, I bring the chickens in in the morning of butcher, and I unload them and help hang them, because it is also important to me that they be treated well up to the point of death. And by bringing them to the abbattoir, I . also know they are done right. I have seen the ones we have done, and I have seen the ones that come back to me.

:/

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Buster said:
Did I detect a hint of arrogant judgement?
If you like. :)

But it's true at least for me. There are more important things to me than cheap. I am much more concerned about the humane treatment of animals than I am how much my meat costs.

Well, according to my hubby, time is money, and he would only have to work an hour of OT to pay for the processing of 50 birds, with alot less frustration, and doing it ourselves would take the four of us all day.
Yeah, that's never been an argument I buy. In a cottage economy, your time is actually an asset, not a liability. Free labor.

So I would go ahead and work that hour of overtime AND process the birds myself.

But that's just arrogant judgmental old me. :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Each to their own i guess. But of course I would never judge you on your choices. It is not my place, and I don't appreciate your condescending tone.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Each to their own i guess. But of course I would never judge you on your choices.
And I don't judge you on yours. I speak only for myself according to my own values.