Advice needed on shipping eggs.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I want to send some eggs to my dad for his broody hens to sit on. He doesn't want more chickens, as he just bought 50 a couple of weeks ago. But he'd like to see what happens with a couple of turkey eggs, if my BR hen cooperates by Monday, my designated shipping date. So far she's been keeping her legs crossed.

So just now dh saw two of my three guineas "doing the deed," which means my suspicions were right, and we have two hens and a cock. Since they are laying in the coop again, I think I'll send him some guinea eggs.

I almost posted this in "Trash to Treasure" because I don't want any more guineas....but Dad wants some! :rolleyes:

He lives 600 miles away.

Any advice on how to pack and ship the eggs?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No one here has shipped eggs or recieved shipped eggs? I asked on byc, the posts move too fast to get much response.....Aly?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have never shipped eggs, but I do know that you need to be mindful of the outside temps--so the eggs don't 1- overheat, or 2-freeze (not a prob this time of year. also yo need to consider how they are bieng shipped--ie, priority post or regular mail or courier.

then you need to worry about how they are packaged. Did you do a search on BYC? All I know is do not tape paper or anything on the eggs. I think I would wrap each individual egg, then put in egg carton, then shock proof carton in a big box with (real) packing peanuts.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I ship eggs all the time.
I wrap mine up in bubble wrap and make sure they are snuggly put into the middle of the box. I only use the priority boxes that are $10.35. I make sure the eggs can not be jiggled around in the box.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I ship eggs all the time.
I wrap mine up in bubble wrap and make sure they are snuggly put into the middle of the box. I only use the priority boxes that are $10.35. I make sure the eggs can not be jiggled around in the box.
What do you put the eggs on inside the box?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok here's how I package mine.

Method 1:

I get a box and line it with a double layer of bubble wrap. I put shredded newspaper inside it. Then I individually wrap each egg in bubble wrap, place bubble wrapped egg inside box that is bubble wrap lined and stuffed with newspaper. Cover wrapped eggs with more shredded paper, put a layer of bubble wrap on top of that, tape box shut, address, ship.

Method 2, used for when shipping 6 or less eggs:
Use small priority mail box (size 4) fill with shredded paper. Individually wrap each egg, nestle in shredded paper.
Take second box, usually priority mail box size 7. Line with double layer of bubble wrap like in method 1. Set small box inside bigger priority mail box. Stuff more shredded paper around smaller box until it is impossible for smaller box to MOVE. Layer bubble wrap on top, tape shut, address, ship.

Hope that helps.

Also, I put FRAGILE over the entire box, but I never put hatching eggs because they seem to destroy the boxes when I put hatching eggs on there.

:)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Thanks!!! Should I put an ice pack in with them???
No! Just ship them! The temp is good most parts of the country right now as long as it is not over 100F and they sit in a truck for a long period of time.