Advise request

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What Pat said plus sunshine. Not only does sunshine promote vitamin D production which helps fight infection, it is a great disinfectant.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have no red streaks. I inspect carefully every day for that. And I have already started the Epsom/hot water soaking. The actual wound is very small and it has been healing from the inside (or so I thought). I thought things were doing OK for the first few days and then the pain and stiffness got worse in just the past two days. Now swelling and heat.

Wifezilla, WE ACTUALLY HAVE SUNSHINE TODAY and I have been out in it all day long. I almost forgot what the sun looked like.

And yeah, after I learn how to remedy this infection and I'm real good at it I'll go out and do something else stupid next time. Let's see . . . I haven't had a rusty nail in my foot lately.

Thanks everybody.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
patandchickens said:
I'm a big fan of the aforementioned "frequent soaks in water as hot as you can stand it, with enough epsom salts crystals in it that some won't dissolve despite stirring".

However I would add that if the infection appears to be spreading down your hand, esp. with reddish streaks into palm or wrist, that would be time to go to the emergency room right away (hours sometimes matter, where blood-poisoning is concerned).

Good luck, hope you're feeling better soon,

Pat
X2 I agree with this.
x3! And I'm a pharmacist. When you aren't soaking it, cover it with bacitracin and a bandaid. But soak as often and as hot and as salty as you can stand it. It will draw out the infection if it is minor. Do not let it go systemic! If it does you really need oral antibiotics. IV if you let it get too far ahead of you!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
X4.

To me, it sounds like it's already gotten out of hand, no pun intended.
I met a gal that was missing a couple fingers and a bit of her hand because she waited until she got gangrene before she went to the doc.
And there was a local guy that ended up dying because he got finned in the knuckle while fishing. Just the weirdest thing, but bacteria can be pretty nasty. He waited a few days, got really sick, ended up with multiple organ failure.

Not saying that's going to happen to you, but it sure was a wakeup call for me. I do the home remedy/treat it myself thing unless I have no choice. If it's not getting better fast, get to the doc.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Along with all this good advice, keep it elevated as much as possible to reduce swelling.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My finger feels a little better today. I have been soaking it in hot Epsom salt solution three times a day and it seems to help the stiffness. The swelling has gone down about 50% and the hot-to-the-touch flesh is completely gone.

Yes I had a tetanus shot about three years ago. I think every five years is the recommendation.

I have a new spring in my step and I'm singing "I Feel Good" just like James Brown. I look just like him . . . yeah right. ;)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nan used to take water as hot as we could stand it, add enough epsom so it didnt disolve anymore and dumped a good handfull of canendula flowers and leaves in it. soak for as long as possible, then strain out the flower leaves and pettles, mush to paste put it on and cover with a hot towel for another 15 mins.

f the infection was nasty enough shed actually paste on the flower mush and bandage it up good and proper and leave it on for hours...

the canendula is a natrual antiinflamitory and helps with infection too...

seemed to work, my dad and none of his siblings ever needed antibiotics...