Aerobic septic?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Thanks, gd!!!

I think you got all my questions while I was explaining further. :)

I do think the contractor is a good guy, and I'm thankful for that. Thank you for explaining. The system was off for some time, I'm not sure but probably 9 months to 2 years or so. So that explains perfectly. I hope it gets to working right then. He's been back out to check it 2 or 3 times and hasn't said any more about having it pumped.

I don't use anti-bac stuff, or pour grease in the drain, or have a disposal (that's what chickens are for LOL). But I'm glad you mentioned brine. I probably poured 3 gallons of weak brine about 4 months ago. Can't remember if I put it in the sink or out the door. But I won't do it again, thanks.

Most of my cleaning stuff gets poured outside. Hmmmm ... I'm not sure though what's worse/better then for dish/laundry detergent. Except for a little cleaning stuff in showers, toilets, etc. that's going to be the main soap (well my personal soap/shampoo).

I use Dawn dishsoap (regular, not anti-bac) and I make laundry soap using Zote, borax, and washing soda. I hope that's not a particular problem?

I will ask about the type of bleach, thanks again. If I can it's worth it to me to not have it on the grasses. The geese sometimes graze there.

I've never seen any dieback, that's for sure. It's nit super-crazy growth either, though it does seem to favor a weed that looks kinda like clover but remains very close to the ground, which also is NOT a type the animals care to eat.

Thanks again, so much, for the info. I had thought in a way it could be a good thing. It doesn't waste any of the household water. And I will be more careful to try to equalize the usage.

Is there anything else I can add, or ask the contractor to add, to help the system remain healthy?

Thanks!!!
You are welcome Shiloh. I never thought my info on sewerage would be helpful to anyone. Sorry about the delays though, the local kids got their candy bar sales kits yesterday at school and I wasn't home they know I am a easy sale though and I would just get back to typing and the doorbell would ring again. I had to turn away a few because I ran out of $1 bills, only bought from the late kids if they could make change.
I am so glad that your service guy seems so reasonable I was a bit concerned when you said you were required by law to contract, so many take that as the right to try and bully you into anything they want.
brine- if it is strong enough to keep bacteria from growing I would use it to kill weeds outside (and no I am not an eco guy I just hate to waste anything)
Soap vs detergent soap made from natural products will biodegrade it is just a matter of time. Detergents in the US are required to biodegrade in a very short time (the factory where i ran the aerobic system was a detergent factory) I use soap only for shaving since I have never found a detergent that will give a foam strong enough to hold up my wiskers while I shave. But I hate soap scum.
Bleach (we also made bleach) I doubt your system is set up to use bleach usually a slow desolving chlorine powder is used in these systems. Bleach will work it is just a matter of dosage that works with the powder form. Sunlight will destroy bleach that is why it is always in white opaque jugs. Use what your contractor tells you to use. MY full Handle is goosedragon, ~gd for short, so I am a goose person also. I used to dump bleach in their pool overnight to kill algee and then keep them out of the pool until the sun had killed the chlorine, a little chlorine didn't seem to bother them one bit.
a conventional septic system doesn't waste water either it just lets it out underground. Heard the expression that the grass is always greener in the leach field?
I can't think of other help I could mention, just stay on the good side of your contractor, the man on site can do a lot of things I can't do from here. Again thanks for your kind words and good luck with your system! ~gd

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No worries about the delays. I'm not in a rush. Just appreciate the info. :)

I do like the service company. The man does seem very honest. Gave me a guesstimate on the riser and actually billed me $25 less. His cost for the riser was less than a third of the first company I called. He is quick to fix little things at no charge, and now that I understand the system better, I feel a lot better about it. :)

I know what you mean about the kids. Back in another life, when I had money, LOL, the kids always came too cuz we always helped with their fundraisers. :)

I used to put a little bleach in the pool when I started with ducks years ago. This year's batch of geese, I just clean daily and use the goose water on the garden, so it worked well for me. No garden now though, and they are getting into breeding season so I just have to deal with it. They all favor the pool for breeding, and I'm counting on goslings so pool it is.

If I can afford it I'd like to put in a real pond for them someday (already asked on here about that ... Just need the $$ someday). I am fond of my geese though. Glad to know your "full name".

Thanks again!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Just a quick response because I don't feel like reading everyone's posts right now and making individual responses.

I used to work for a health department, part of my job included issuing permits and inspecting installation of private sewage systems.

If I recall septic refers to anaerobic systems, a tank and field. No oxygen.

State and local laws and codes will determine what you can or can't have.

I have an aerobic system. When an aerobic system is working properly you can open the lid and you should see a chocolate brown solution that smells like the woods, like rich humus soil.

The effluent or discharge should be clear with little to no odor and it should not smell like sewage, if it smells like sewage something is not right. Where I live if the effluent does not leave your property it does not need additional treatment. If if does leave your property it needs additional treatment, usually with chlorine tablets like used in swimming pools. Again, check your laws and codes.

All systems need to be periodically pumped to remove the accumulated solids.

Some codes might require effluent from an aerobic system be discharged into a leach field. I can't say for sure.

Forgot chemicals and such. Don't put bleach down the drain into the tank, it will kill the good bacteria. Don't overload with fat, if you use a garbage disposal you need what is called a trash tank between the house and the unit for catching all those extra solids. Don't wash your paint brushes in the sink, etc. etc.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Just a quick response because I don't feel like reading everyone's posts right now and making individual responses.

I used to work for a health department, part of my job included issuing permits and inspecting installation of private sewage systems.

I have an aerobic system. When an aerobic system is working properly you can open the lid and you should see a chocolate brown solution that smells like the woods, like rich humus soil.

The effluent or discharge should be clear with little to no odor and it should not smell like sewage, if it smells like sewage something is not right. Where I live if the effluent does not leave your property it does not need additional treatment. If if does leave your property it needs additional treatment, usually with chlorine tablets like used in swimming pools. Again, check your laws and codes.

Some codes might require effluent from an aerobic system be discharged into a leach field. I can't say for sure.

Forgot chemicals and such. Don't put bleach down the drain into the tank, it will kill the good bacteria. Don't overload with fat, if you use a garbage disposal you need what is called a trash tank between the house and the unit for catching all those extra solids. Don't wash your paint brushes in the sink, etc. etc.
quick question. will using bleach--like once a month, about 2 cups total, hurt the sptic? We have an anaerobic.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think we have a similar system. Our water gets pumped into a sand pit(in a concrete enclosure),and the water drains down,and then goes through a filter that has bleach tablets...and then out to the front yard to the city drain.Weird system.

I hated it at first because the water pools in the sand pit.Skeeters can be an issue if I don't mix things up.I get frogs in there,so the water must not be super bad. I would not use the water on my crops though!

Neighbors around me have old systems.They can keep them until they sell the home,and then they are required to get an inspection and update.My one has not pumped his in over 10 years. I bet it is clogging the yard.

I think if you don't pump out it will rise up and clog the pipes in either direction. I have the service guy let me know about the levels,but I have heard pump every 3-5 years.All depends on the tank size and number of people in the home.

How are things growing around the sprayers?

You can get the water from your washer pumped out to the yard if you want to pay to seperate it from the septic system. I wash 2 or more a day.Only time I try to limit everything is when we have had a lot of rain.

The newest system required around here has a UV light that is supposed to kill the nasties in the water. My service guy says it breaks a lot,and you also pay for a service monitor that calls *someone* when the UV breaks.

My system has the aerator machine and 2 sump pumps.It is not so bad,but I would prefer an old system under the ground with no type of electronics.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
dacjohns said:

quick question. will using bleach--like once a month, about 2 cups total, hurt the sptic? We have an anaerobic.
2 cups total probably won't do real harm but it won't help it either. A regular septic tank still depends on bacterial action, it's just anaerobic bacteria instead of aerobic bacteria.