After over a hundred hatchlings, failed incubations, mail orders......

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This year my goal was to diversify my chicken flock, with lots of useful SS oriented breeds and species. Here is the finished product....

1419_sam_0888.jpg

Jack and Rita, the Embden Geese pair

1419_sam_0889.jpg

One of the roosters, I think its like a Black Sex Link. I thought he was pretty so I spared him from the canner.

1419_sam_0892.jpg

The other rooster, the Delaware. He is gorgeous, this is one of Wannabefree's children. :D

1419_sam_0894.jpg

A few of the new pullets (Delaware, Dominique, Buff Orpington and an older Australorp)

1419_sam_0897.jpg

If anyone remembers my first incubation experience, they will know how badly it went and how this was the only one that managed to live. She is so pretty....one of my favorites.

1419_sam_0898.jpg

This is the Muscovy Duck pair, I have had them for 3 years I think.

Just thought I'd share :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks good! I'm still working on my turkeys. However, my pekins are finally starting to breed! I've been selling off my barred rocks, wyandotts and light brahmas to focus on the leghorns. I just don't think "dual purpose" breeds are very dual purpose. They eat more, lay a few less eggs and don't have a carcass much worth bothering with, after feeding them for several months. Instead, I've been focusing on my leghorns (as I've already said, lol) and working on cornish cross for breeding. The roosters from the leghorn hatches will be pretty much useless, but I've found that they are VERY easy to pick out from females in about a week, so that's helpful. I'll take the loss and sell them at auction for ten cents a piece to keep a better laying flock in the end. I also have some muscovies growing out for breeding in the spring. I have never really been into geese, but if I "had" to get some, I wouldn't mind getting the Canadian geese.
Sounds like you've got something going on there though!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Looks good! I'm still working on my turkeys. However, my pekins are finally starting to breed! I've been selling off my barred rocks, wyandotts and light brahmas to focus on the leghorns. I just don't think "dual purpose" breeds are very dual purpose. They eat more, lay a few less eggs and don't have a carcass much worth bothering with, after feeding them for several months. Instead, I've been focusing on my leghorns (as I've already said, lol) and working on cornish cross for breeding. The roosters from the leghorn hatches will be pretty much useless, but I've found that they are VERY easy to pick out from females in about a week, so that's helpful. I'll take the loss and sell them at auction for ten cents a piece to keep a better laying flock in the end. I also have some muscovies growing out for breeding in the spring. I have never really been into geese, but if I "had" to get some, I wouldn't mind getting the Canadian geese.
I'm not sure what you mean by Canadian geese But you do need a permit to keep Canada Geese, Federal permit for sure, State permit depends on the state. Pretty much all native birds require a permit,

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
Bettacreek said:
I'm not sure what you mean by Canadian geese But you do need a permit to keep Canada Geese, Federal permit for sure, State permit depends on the state. Pretty much all native birds require a permit,
Yup. Plus they're expensive to purchase them as well. So, no Canadian geese here.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lovely flock buff, nice embdens! those are going to be fun come spring lol...be forearned, embdens can be quite agressive uring breeding season.

in terms fo the canaa geese, you couldnt PAY me to keep them. they arnt nearly as prolific, not nearly as prolific, youve got to keep them wing clipped if you want to keep them home and the cst of the permits for something thats essentilaly a lawn ornament is crazy...

i LOVE my poms and will be adding more in the spring if i can get my hands on some sexed goslings. the am-buffs and embdens are also good choices for dual purpose in geese, which in geese realy means DUAL. toulouse might be another good choice.
i do agree on the dual chickens though...as pretty as most of the "duals" are i just dont know if they balance out enough to be worth it...
i plan on going with leghorns for my laying flock and then mabe tractor some cornish x each year for meat.

like to scovies too :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you have the option of free-range, I really recommend that for the cornish cross. Out of forty of them, I have had ONE leg issue, and that one was actually injured by another rooster. Despite what people swear, they simply are NOT lazy if you don't treat them like they're lazy. Mine free-range better than any of the other chickens here (besides one silkie mix and a few ameraucanas that stick with the turkeys and ducks). My dual purpose hens typically stick to the house. The cornish cross can typically only be found when you call them or at bed time.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
lovely flock buff, nice embdens! those are going to be fun come spring lol...be forearned, embdens can be quite agressive uring breeding season.

in terms fo the canaa geese, you couldnt PAY me to keep them. they arnt nearly as prolific, not nearly as prolific, youve got to keep them wing clipped if you want to keep them home and the cst of the permits for something thats essentilaly a lawn ornament is crazy...

i LOVE my poms and will be adding more in the spring if i can get my hands on some sexed goslings. the am-buffs and embdens are also good choices for dual purpose in geese, which in geese realy means DUAL. toulouse might be another good choice.
i do agree on the dual chickens though...as pretty as most of the "duals" are i just dont know if they balance out enough to be worth it...
i plan on going with leghorns for my laying flock and then mabe tractor some cornish x each year for meat.

like to scovies too :D
The 'dual' in geese usually isn't eggs! Down fat(goose grease) and quils were the traditional products.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The reason for dual purpose is I like their behavior much better than leghorns, and I plan to begin caponizing my roosters to use for meat. This is supposed to make them put on the weight.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I hope your Del roos tail comes in better. I'm seeing a lot of white in it that shouldn't be, but he is pretty young. They have GROWN! WOW! He has a great shape to him though! Couldn't tell much on the hen though. You really have some nice looking birds little brother :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I hope your Del roos tail comes in better. I'm seeing a lot of white in it that shouldn't be, but he is pretty young. They have GROWN! WOW! He has a great shape to him though! Couldn't tell much on the hen though. You really have some nice looking birds little brother :)
Oh he is still growing!! I'm satisfied with him, his tail has gotten better in th past week or two. So I am sure it will fill out more