Aged Horse Manure

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some Free Aged horse manure from a guy I found on Craigslist. He said he has some that is aged up to 5 years and then some that is 3 and 1. So, im assuming the 5 yr stuff is going to be almost like dirt by now. I was wondering how much to put on my garden and if i should just top dress or work in?? I think my garden needs a little boost in the way of natural fertilizers. But i dont want to be too rich in nitrogen and have super big plants and no veggies on them.

Also I got lazy last fall and never worked the garden so its all pretty much like i left it last fall. Is it too early to work it now? i was thinking i would get a truck load of the aged manure and then work that in and let it sit another month and then when im ready to plant get some more and just top dress around my plants. Is there a negative to working the soil too early?? its nice and dry now and i was thinking it might give it some time to start decomposing the junk from last year (that i shouldve working in last fall) Ideas??

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I can, I put horse manure on my garden in the fall, and that's it.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I were given that choice, I would take the three year old stuff to till in now. Then when you get ready to top dress, use the oldest stuff, to make sure it is not too strong for the delicate plants. You are lucky, having that offered to you.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with So Lucky. If it's a "Take it now or never" situation, I'd take a heap and let it age on the side of the garden too.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've never had much issues with any horse manure in the garden in my family. I'll also agree with So Lucky on how to do it.

I'd take the one year old stuff as well and let it set somewhere and put it on the garden in the fall.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Is this straight horse manure or is it mixed with bedding? If so, the older stuff that looks and smells just like soil is ready for the garden and the nitrogen has bound with the carbonaceous material of the straw or hay bedding long ago. Also, mostly likely the worms are pretty much in good residence in that manure as well....it's all depending on your soil and just how much manure is offered.

Can you describe your soil and how much of the manure will cover your garden space?

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Is this straight horse manure or is it mixed with bedding? If so, the older stuff that looks and smells just like soil is ready for the garden and the nitrogen has bound with the carbonaceous material of the straw or hay bedding long ago. Also, mostly likely the worms are pretty much in good residence in that manure as well....it's all depending on your soil and just how much manure is offered.

Can you describe your soil and how much of the manure will cover your garden space?
Hmmm,describe my soil. Its kinda hard, clumpy, not many earthworms that ive seen. Its not poor quality,but isnt the best quality either i dont think. Its not sandy at all either. But its not clay. I can get as much manure as i need. The guy still has tons left. Im assuming its manure mixed with bedding im pretty sure. My garden is 36x24 I think. I was thinking of getting a pickup truck load full first and tilling that into the soil and then getting another and leaving it sit on the side and use it as i need it for planting,etc. Its FREE, so i want to get as much as i think i will need.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd get as much as you can! Like black gold, it is..... :D I think your plan is a good one and I don't think that would be too much of a good thing if you get the 5 year aged manure.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I would get some of the fresh stuff too and stockpile that for future years. Make a big pile and cover it with a tarp and then let it sit at least several months before using. As long as you have it covered the nutrients won't leach out. I'm not sure how the guy stored the older stuff, so I would personally go for the fresh stuff and age it myself. JMO. We live in an area where nutrients will get washed out of the soil, manure, or compost during the rainy season, if not covered. I'm not sure if the same is true in your area. Even if the nutrients are depleted in the older stuff, it probably would still add good tilth to your soil though.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hope I didnt totally mess up...a few months ago I had hubby bring me a tractor bucket full for each bed out of the pasture, some a year old, some new stuff. I turned the beds right away. The beds rested for those months. I just turned them again this last week and only a few clumps of the manure are visibly still stuck together and just look like dry grass clippings meaning the freshest stuff didnt decompose fast enough. Im praying I dont burn up the garden!