Aidenbaby's Anti-Suburban Sprawl

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
While I posted all the pics, I completely forgot to update with current events. I decided to downsize my flock. I'm getting rid of two of my girls. I posted them on Freecycle as I would like them to go to someone that needs them or will use them. Xanthe (Salmon Faverolle) and Lacey (blue andalusian) are going. I hope that someone will use Xanthe for brooding as I have seen that "I want to set some eggs" look in her eyes a few times and she has gone broody once. We are just getting WAY too many eggs for our household consumption.

I let hubby know of my decision and, not surprisingly, he supported it. I asked him if I could trade the two hens for one male rabbit and he politely declined. I WILL find a way to get another rabbit one of these days.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Attack of the 'ole midnight insomnia. I hate it when I can't sleep. After having reviewed others' journals, I thought I'd update my own.

I started getting more beds planted. I am experimenting with square foot gardening. I've always toyed with the idea but never felt the soil was up to being able to handle the "workload". What with the newest critters and the compost pile running at full capacity, I am hoping it'll work. I finished planting my onion sets and started planting broccoli and spinach. I'm trying to make sure that the plantings are somewhat staggered so that I'm not overwhelmed.

No luck, so far, on anyone on freecycle wanting two of the gals. I guess it's not the end of the world. Question is, what am I supposed to do with ALL THESE EGGS. Quiche isn't really an option what with Aidy's allergy. Can you make quiche with egg whites only? I may need to resort to making high altitude angel food cake tomorrow. Mitch'll be home so at least he'll get a piece.

The weather is supposed to suck all weekend but I may just duck it out with some warm clothes to more of the bed planted. If not, I'll have to resign myself to housework.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Have you tried freezing your extras? The glut will only last for the summer months this winter you will be needing extra eggs. I crack the extra eggs (freshest are best for this) mix them up like scrambled with a bit of salt and pour them into an ice cube tray until they are hard frozen. Then I pop them out and put them in a Ziploc bag. They keep really well like this and are great to use in cooking all winter long. You COULD thaw them and make scrambled eggs from them as well but I really don't prefer them that way.

When I tell people that I keep between 3 and 4 hens only they think I am nuts. Most people think if you have chickens you need 10 to 15 hens to supply your eggs. Unless you have a family of lumberjacks that can eat 15 eggs EVERY day you are soon overwhelmed by eggs. My 3 and 4 hens keep us well supplied all by themselves. I keep track. One February my 3 hens laid 72 eggs!! How many people buy that many a month at the store??

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
do you have dogs? scramble them up and feed to the d--o-g's they love 'em.

and great work starting with sq. ft. gardening!

sorry you couldnt sleep when i get awake early i lay there and think of everything i have to do - which makes me tired and then i go back to sleep!
:)

FF - 72!?!?!???!?!?!?

we also pawn eggs off to everyone we know. depending on your local laws, and how much liability you want to take one, you could sell them??

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The crazy thing is that, between the five of them, we usually get between 3 and 4 eggs a day even in winter. The only time I didn't get this was when they went through an egg eating binge. I increased their protein and they stopped. I'm assuming that their egg production will slow down or even halt when they go into moult but that won't be (expectedly) until the end of summer.

Supposedly, it isn't supposed to rain until after lunch. Have I ever mentioned my dislike of cloudy, gray days? (sigh)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm doing beginner babysteps with FlyLady again.

Dressed to shoes - Check
Shiny sink - Check
Hot Spots - Check
One load of laundry from start to finish - Check
One load of dishes - Check

I'll update as the day goes on. I'm trying to keep it simple to develop good habits.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I love Flylady.....haven't implemented her lists in quite a while....I really need to!

Good luck :)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I'm doing beginner babysteps with FlyLady again.

Dressed to shoes - Check
Shiny sink - not yet
Hot Spots - not yet
One load of laundry from start to finish - not yet
One load of dishes - not yet

I'll update as the day goes on. I'm trying to keep it simple to develop good habits.
I'd like to do this along with you :) I used to follow it a few years ago, and got out of the habit and am completely back to living in chaos...

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Babysteps & the 27 fling boogie!! I love it, once you learn it & put your own take on it, you can apply it to anything. I pulled 81 (27x3) weeds from my nettle patch this weekend. It's a start :cool:

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You guys make me want to cry sometimes... the Purple Puddle kind. It reminds me of why I keep coming back to this forum above all others. I haven't been very nice to myself lately thinking that I was "just being honest with myself" telling myself that I just wasn't meant to be a stay at home mom (I hate/d it) and maybe I'm thinking to big (dreaming too big), etc. I've decided that like AA and other twelve step programs I am going to take it one day at a time and see if I can live sober, er, cleaner, happier and start enjoying my children again.

ETA: Here's to doing ANYTHING in 15 minutes!