Air Conditioning

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Georgia gets hot and humid, aint no doubt about that!!! The AC/heat pump unit was replaced last spring, the previous unit was 20+yrs old

The problem is even the new unit bumps the electric bill up $300 or more EACH MONTH!!! :ep Doesn't matter if its heat or a/c. We've gotten by with using the woodstove for heat, that has saved an easy $1000 in the last few months, but I'm trying to figure out what we're gonna do come hot weather. :/ It was unbearable in here last March/Apr before the AC was replaced. Not so much the heat but the humidity.

What can we do, besides block all light coming in from the windows and putting up thick curtains? Is there anything that will help keep the humidity down? We've got fans to help keep air moving. We're also working on replacing insulation which will help too.

We can't put window units in a room or two either.. these windows slide side to side, not up and down, and our window units are on loan to a friend 6+hrs away...

Edited cuz I cant type this morning

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know if a dehumidifier in the house would help or not.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
We have a portable swamp cooler that looks like that leftover from AZ. Don't need it here though! I like that A/C unit!!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know if the portable AC is the same as a swamp cooler. If it is, it won't work where it's humid.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Swamp coolers don't really work where it is humid. They just produce sticky damp air if it is already humid.

Why would the bill have gone up so much? Have you had a technician come look at it? Is it energy star rated? Have you thought to check online for reviews of the unit that you have? That is a LOT of money for just a new unit, especially if the old unit was not functioning effectively, it would have run a lot more than the new unit.

The other thing you can do is install a programmable thermostat to adjust the temps when you are not home so the unit isn't running unnecessarily.

Best of luck!

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, we are in N Florida - our place & unit are only 4 years old and when I run it my bill goes up at least $200. This winter I have kept it on 60 which is not comfortable, but we use the fireplace when we are home. The bill I just got was $100 more than the last one and our house wasn't even warm :barnie I've had it checked - I don't have any advice, but hope someone here comes along with something that will work for both of us :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Does an attic fan work for climates like that? I know they produce an enormous amount of air flow in a house if you have the right one. Are they cheaper to run than an air-conditioner?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yes, attic fans work, at least it worked in my parent's house in NC which was fairly hot and humid (nothing compared to FL of course!)

Let me check with my other half, he sells HVAC equipment and might have some suggestions. Getting it serviced is probably a good one. Also checking to make sure that the area around the unit outside is clear so that it is not having to work harder to suck in air.
Beyond that let me see what I can find out.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The unit was brand new installed last Spring, energy star rated for high efficiency even.

There should be NO reason the dadblastid bill should be that high.. We kept an eye on usage, and last Oct, when it finally started to cool down and we cut the AC off most of the month, the KWH used went from 3700 to 1700. Its in a clear area, the fan runs fine with plenty of airflow. Its up on a concrete pad on the backside of the house, same place the other one was. The house is approx 1500sf and IIRC the unit is a 4ton

It has never been this high...its under the landlords name, since the power also controls the well and water for his cattle. He was absolutely shocked it was so high. As soon as we moved in, the bill went up just over $200. Then the next month it skyrocketed (Aug '10) and hasn't come down till Oct '11. I don't understand it. :idunno

So we're trying to figure out alternatives to using the AC when it starts getting hot again, because I REFUSE to pay that much. DH has been meaning to check it, he just forgets (and by the time I remember its dark or raining :rolleyes: )

We might just end up living in the basement when it gets unbearable up here. :he

Any other non-power using alternatives we might could do? Oh, and caulking the windows is on the list (the house whistles better then I do :lol: )