Air freshener or potpourri recipes???

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love smells. In particular, good ones. Im always lighting candles around the house and we have formerly used plug-in air fresheners. As we move completely out of chemicals and toxins in the house, I wanted to make some good smelling stuff to set out around the house that will keep a good smell for a length of time. Does anyone have any ideas?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Essential oils. You can diffuse them, make a spray, put a drop or two on a cotton ball, add a few drops to a lil pot of simmering water, you name it.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have chemical sensitivities, to the point where I can't be around people who wear perfume, can't go into homes filled with scented candles (even if they aren't burning), and can't walk down the detergent or cleaner aisle at the grocery store without having a very strong reaction and needing my asthma puffer.

If you are trying to rid your home of chemicals, stay away from candles not made of beeswax or soy wax, and don't buy scented candles unless you are certain they contain essential oils rather than petroleum derived scents.

Grow scented flowers in your garden and bring in fresh flowers often--but don't buy flowers, most are heavily sprayed with all sorts of chemicals.

Diffuse essential oils as so lucky has indicated. But don't buy the "plug-in" or commercial "oil infuser" air fresheners--they are all petrochemically derived and some even contain formaldehyde. (My friend's husband used to work in the industry and was just horrified to real the "materials data safety sheets" on some of the stuff they use, which is considered "safe" in the amounts that are used in the products.)

The best way to have a fresh smelling home is to clean regularly with non-toxic cleaners, to damp-rag dust often, and to open windows to let in fresh air in/stale air out. :)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Where does everyone get their essential oils? The few places I have found have been pritty pricy. Thanks.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They are pricey, as it is a labour and materials intensive process to distill plants down to their scented oils :) Lots of stuff and lots of time equals not much essential oil.

(Thus why petrochemical derived scents are so much cheaper. ;))

I only use essential oils in soap-making, but I get them from a local natural foods grocery store. I'm sure there are places online as well, especially if you search for soap-making supply places.