Air layering

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you expecting tall elder bountiful elder but maybe you have dwarf elder?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
No, they should be the tall varieties. I bought 2 different varieties, planted them about 6 years ago. I think they just aren't happy where they are. The smaller one has some mouse damage but hasn't been completely girdled. I'm hoping that damage actually works to my advantage, and forces the shrub to go into survival mode, setting some new suckers. I've had wild ones pop up on the property in the past, but they were destroyed by land clearing efforts. If I ever see some wild ones OR someone's cultivated ones in my travels, I'd be sure to ask for some cuttings.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FYI...
Its been 39 days or 5 weeks and 4 days since I started this air-layer on this fallen peach tree. As you can see, it looks like roots are just now starting to form. So I closed the rooting ball back up and will check again around 8 weeks.

Patience...
IMG_20210617_101937585.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about the leaves?

It's in the bark. Remember to remove the cambium layer as well since that's what is really wanted. That's too much effort for me which is why I just use the softer tips which blend. More surface area in contact with the water. I have many hundreds of swamp willows so I spread it out.

Older parts don't have as much which is why it needs to be fresh growth. Spring growth is supposed to be best.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, the regular trunk is approximately 2' taller than the air layered one.

View attachment 16580

I opened the pod and it's got two bitty roots on one side. It doesn't appear to have any of the outer layer of bark connected from the upper to lower portion, and it has been growing new leaves, so I'm assuming it's safe to separate this to a different pot?
View attachment 16581View attachment 16582
Hubby voted to give it more time, so I put the pod back on.
KIMG1401.JPG

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I may try air layering my apple trees, and my elderberry. The apple trees are infected with tree borers. I may try fishing in the holes for the grubs, as well as squirting some Neem or similar product in the holes. But... I don't hold much hope for saving the trees. One tree has about 5 holes that are each about 1/3" diameter, the other tree has 3 holes. The elderberry has never thrived in it's location. Just kind of "hanging on". A fair amount of die back each year. I do believe they are fairly easy to root. I could always order some trees from a nursery, but I relish the challenge of starting my own.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter did you check out your local nursery for pots? I don't know if you have a Green Acres near you, but the one near me has good quality thick plastic plant pots for just a couple bucks. I reuse the pots the plants I buy come in too.
Thanks but I already ordered them from eBay, what I had posted. Ebay said they shipped today.

i'm starting to get "my stride" per say. I live far from the nearest town, 20 minute drive. So by the time I go to town, stand in line at the store and drive back it's at least an hour wasted on something I could be doing around here. I'm now trying to plan my trips to town at night so I'm not "burning daylight". If I need something that's not immediate I'll order it on-line and have it shipped. Country Life... 😂

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we have a nice big one in the empty lot next to us, but the last couple of years the drought has prevented berry production. They bloom, but the berries just dry up on the tree before they ever fully develop. I'm thinking of running the hose over there and giving it some water at least once a month this summer, to see if that helps, since my well is very deep. I have a lot of dried elderberries "put by", but I would like to be able to harvest some so I don't run out; only God knows how long this drought will last.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought some of those air layering pods, they arrived yesterday. Going to try those, plus some assorted containers to air layer the lilac, a jasmine, and some of the branches off my avocado.

Does it matter if you use liquid or powder rooting hormone? Should I try both ways to test which one works better?
I've always used the powdered rooting hormone. Just make sure you apply it immediately after removing the bark, while the wound is still good and wet. I've not tried the liquid so really can't say how well works. Don't forget to post some pics :)