Air pollution bigger threat than dirty water

Farmer31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
51_air_pollution.JPG

Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), report says pollution will become biggest cause of premature death, killing an estimated 3.6 million people a year by 2050. Urban air pollution is set to become the biggest environmental cause of premature death in the coming decades, overtaking even such mass killers as poor sanitation and a lack of clean drinking water, according to a new report.

Both developed and developing countries will be hit, and by 2050, there could be 3.6 million premature deaths a year from exposure to particulate matter. But rich countries will suffer worst effects from exposure to ground-level ozone, because of their ageing populations older people are more susceptible.

Complete Article

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
From what you wrote. I would believe that could happen. I live in a small coastal town. And whenever I go inland to one of our two biggest cities. I come back with nasal problems and chest congestion, without having a cold or flu. And I have no allergies to plants, so it cant be that..

lesliemorris85

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Urban air pollution is set to become the biggest environmental cause of premature death in the coming decades, overtaking even such mass killers as poor sanitation and a lack of clean drinking water, according to a new report. guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/mar/15/air-pollution-biggest-killer-water

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was on the news a couple of weeks ago about the air pollution in China. It looked like heavy smoke/fog from street level to the sky. And every time we purchase a China made product, we subsidize this behavior with our dollars.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My area may not be high industry,but we are close to the highways,and the geo-engineering spraying daily does not help either.Eventually we will need a decent mask just to go out and garden!

lesliemorris85

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
My area may not be high industry,but we are close to the highways,and the geo-engineering spraying daily does not help either.Eventually we will need a decent mask just to go out and garden!
It's really not safe nowadays.

savalot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A very bad situation , and it gets worse every day. A lot of it is the big guys , and when its all said and done they just pack there bags pile up there big money and move some were else.We the people are left to clean up the mess.:somad