Alaskan's Life

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bantams hatched 3 chicks and I think misplaced 2 of them.... found them on the ground just dead...nothing wrong with them.

So 1 broody was put up in the top of my green tractor, just a 3x4, and with the small area she is doing fine.

Just :(

Only ended up with 2 hatched from the incubator eggs... of those 2 we have one of each sex.

Right now I am doing a set of eggs in the incubator, but all Spitz. . ..

I rather think I should do one more set of the bantams.... 1 pullet from this year isn't good enough..... but maybe the single is female... too young yet to tell....

And I have so few of the bantams, and they are all feeling broody... so not many eggs to gather at the moment.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bantams hatched 3 chicks and I think misplaced 2 of them.... found them on the ground just dead...nothing wrong with them.

So 1 broody was put up in the top of my green tractor, just a 3x4, and with the small area she is doing fine.

Just :(

Only ended up with 2 hatched from the incubator eggs... of those 2 we have one of each sex.

Right now I am doing a set of eggs in the incubator, but all Spitz. . ..

I rather think I should do one more set of the bantams.... 1 pullet from this year isn't good enough..... but maybe the single is female... too young yet to tell....

And I have so few of the bantams, and they are all feeling broody... so not many eggs to gather at the moment.
I had a bunch of chicks hatch out last year and had chicks killed by other hens grabbing them and just slinging them and had a rooster do it as well.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No. I had chickens until I was in high school. Then, I didn't get any more until after hubby and I built our house. Had them for about a decade, there-a-bouts. Then, started my current revolving flock about 17 years ago.

I've had bantams, sex links, leghorns, (white and lt brown rose comb), Dominique, Barred Rock, SLW, EE, Buck Eye, BA, and probably a few other breeds I've forgotten about.
Of all the breeds you have had, which was your favorite, and why?

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
IMO, a combination of Dominique (or possibly barred rock) AND EE. I just love the personality of Doms and EE. Those 2 breeds have small combs (rose and pea, respectively). They tend to blend into a wonderful flock. their personalities are well matched. And they provide a nicely colored egg basket. Doms also are prone to occasional broodiness, while not being pain in the butt "broody all the time". Also, if you keep a EE roo, one who does not have white coloring, he will cross with the Dom or PBR to produce delightful black sex links: Win/win/win situation: Olive eggers, sex linked, hybrid vigor. Dom eggs are medium sized, while PBR eggs are large. So, while I prefer Doms, I'm very willing to settle for PBR. I also like the personality of Buck Eye. They have pea combs, and a BE roo would cross with a Dom or PBR to produce a black sex link.

IIRC, Pea x Rose = Walnut. Rose x Single = Rose. But, Pea x Single = loose, wonky pea. In my cold winters, I prefer small combs, and absolutely won't have feathered feet in my flocks.

I was really pleased with how well the ducks wintered over. But, last winter was warmer than usual.
I used to have Doms and really loved them.

The kids also thought the Doms had excellent personalities.

But..... I really needed to reduce the number of breeds I had....

And so the Doms went.....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But, @CrealCritter the parcel you were discussing -- as I remember -- was in the REAL outback. No roads, stores, etc. Even your adventurous DW said she wasn't moving there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Alaskan lives in the middle of town, in comparison.

While that moose has some majesty to behold, I'll bet that's total garden destruction given a couple hours of graze. The landscape is beautiful.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But, @CrealCritter the parcel you were discussing -- as I remember -- was in the REAL outback. No roads, stores, etc. Even your adventurous DW said she wasn't moving there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Alaskan lives in the middle of town, in comparison.

While that moose has some majesty to behold, I'll bet that's total garden destruction given a couple hours of graze. The landscape is beautiful.
Yes, gardens need to be fenced... but they leave potatoes and my flower beds alone.

:idunno