Alaskan's Life

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep.... more of the white stuff...

Hummmmm...meringue, whipped cream, mashed potatoes!

20220204_151127.jpg

20220204_151039.jpg

20220205_193421.jpg

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're these hen hatched there? Or?
Incubator.

My Spitz have never gone broody.

I have a flock of bantam Wheaten Ameraucana that tend to go broody... but too early in the year still.

Pictures from YESTERDAY:

This is a picture of my driveway and pond
20220424_152022.jpg

And here is the muddy ice path/ramp out of my house. The wood thing in the center is the duck coop.
20220424_152007.jpg

Here is some of the church parking... that icy are to the left.
20220424_152207.jpg

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh... with the eggs...

I had set them for the Easter hatch-a-long on BYC. But, CLEARLY too early in the year. Too little light, too much snow. Fertility was rock bottom bad.

With that group of eggs... there were 26 eggs at start... 5 Spitz, only the 2 fertile. 21 bantams and ONLY 1 fertile... it made it to hatch, but a little late, and got shrink wrapped and died...

So...

I set a new set of eggs as soon as those 2 little Spitz hatched. MUCH better!

Of 11 Spitz eggs, only 2 clear, 1 a super early death. So, 8 eggs growing well..... just over a week into incubation.

Out of 11 bantam eggs only 2 look really good. 4 are iffy. :rolleyes: (It is HARD for me to see into the blue eggs... so if there is any doubt i leave them in). The rest of the bantams are obvious clears. The bantams get WAY less light than the Spitz (coop location, and the Spitz coop is connected to the greenhouse), so I can't really fault them. I want to stuff the incubator with bantam eggs ... tomorrow... or Wednesday... as soon as I have a bunch... hope I get more chicks.... I only have 4 bantam girls... and they are old (can't remember how old), so I will keep hatching all summer until I get a nice set. Also, the Wheaten is a tricky color... hard to get good color... I sell the girls that don't turn out like I like.

I have one old lady Marans cross... she still lays... and is the only brown egg layer that I have left.... I would like 2 more young brown egg layers... but my old girl ... though she lays, her yolks are no longer strong. I want to try to hatch her eggs.... but I don't think any of her eggs will hatch... I will have to try and see.. because I REALLY don't feel like I can justify buying chickens just to add 2 brown egg layers to the flock.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have one gal wanting to set. Really, I need to give her a clutch! I just found her mom dead last week😢 just fell off roost dead. Had been hatched here and was the best broody ever. I already miss her.

So looking at your pics and it being mid 80s here, I offer my condolences on that white stuff! 🤣. Yep, you're lucky to get an egg.....any egg. Couple months and you'll get a better hatch. 👍

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
H
I have one gal wanting to set. Really, I need to give her a clutch! I just found her mom dead last week😢 just fell off roost dead. Had been hatched here and was the best broody ever. I already miss her.

So looking at your pics and it being mid 80s here, I offer my condolences on that white stuff! 🤣. Yep, you're lucky to get an egg.....any egg. Couple months and you'll get a better hatch. 👍
How old was the mom?

A good broody is worth her weight in gold!!

I still deeply miss my good broodies... don't have any really good ones at present.

Those bantams incubate fine... but are a bit ditsy as moms once the chicks hatch. I usually have to put them into a little broody pen so that they don't lose track of their chicks!! I am not impressed!