All American Canner question

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay I just bought this older 921 model off of Craigslist but my new one has a different regulator weight set up can someone fill me in on this one and if there are any differences. The gal thought I did not need a weight just use as is and I am not sure. It was only 30.00! :ya Should I just replace the regulator vent pipe with a modern setup and new weight?? THANKS
418_100_0274.jpg
Man it needs a good scrubbing.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
That's exactly what I got from my neighbor. The dial gauge is in place of the weighted gauge. I just took mine in to the extension office to have it checked. Mine reads 2 lbs different so if it says 13, it's actually at 15 lbs pressure. My neighbor is an old farm gal and has canned for umpteen years with it before it got too heavy for her to lift. I traded her my light weight presto for it! They still have manuals on-line that explain how to use the dial gauge. Here's a link to the 921 manual.
SCORE!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome news FF but can I change it out since I already understand the other method later on with no issue? I wonder how old it is then?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I don't know anything about changing it out. There's not much to it with the dial gauge. You just watch the gauge until it gets to the right pressure, and then maintain. There just isn't the jiggling noise to listen for like with the weighted gauge. They still sell them new with the dial gauge. I'm not sure how you would tell how old it is. Luckily, there's no seals to worry about.

I would be more concerned about changing it out because if it's done wrong... it would be bad. If it were me, I'd leave it even if I was used to the other type of gauge. There's very detailed instructions in the manual. You really can't go wrong.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I too would just have the pressure gauge tested and then use it as it is. They were designed with a great amount of safety built in even in the old days - I wouldn't try to modify one. The way these things are built to last the gauge may even be accurate! :p

By the way your All American is a LOT newer than the one of my MIL's that I canned with for years. She bought it in the 1940's and it was still working like a charm. When I could no longer use hers my hubby bought me a NEW one! :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will look into the dial gauge, it may be just fine. Did you end up replacing your overpressure plug then? This is not the same as my new one which is rubber, this is metal and the replacement parts don't look the same as what's available, should I be concerned? Sorry so many questions!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
As for me I would probably just pressure it up and look for any obvious leaks. Again these things are made to LAST!

The main difference between the new over pressure plugs and the new ones is that the old ones are like a fuse - once they break they are done.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SCORE!

Congrats to you! I'm sorry I have nothing to add on the weights, since I don't have a pressure canner myself, but I'm possitively GREEN over your AA canner.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a fantastic find!
You just leave the vent open until you get a solid flow of steam, then you shut it and watch the dial. As ff said, no noise!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it! Off to scrub my new canner :D