Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thankfully, our Creator has given my broodies the ability to know what to do, far better than I and the incubator. Plus, while chickens have a natural desire to scratch (!!! all the shavings into the water!!!) the broody hen tells them "why" they scratch and where. AMAZING motherhood!

I love watching my gals. Hoping that the 5 with one hen are all pullets (yeah, right! Fat chance!!:D) but, probably only 2 are. Of course, there's always hope. They are feathering but not enough to be sure yet. Then, another 5, combs look like I might have 3 or 4 gals there :idunno Mom was taken by a fox (after a huge fight) and I'm fostering the babes. She would not go into her pen that night. :( I need pullets.

Mini, you need to get yourself some poultry nipples! Makes all the difference in the world when raising chicks, with or without a mama. The best setup I've had for broodies and babies is a bucket with a nipple cup on the side and straight nipples on the bottom so both sizes are served. Nice, clean water all the time.

Works for ducks too. :thumbsup

I'm with you....I prefer all the hatching to be done by the experts ~the mama~and I will never be one. I've hatched with a regular incubator and even hatched using a heating pad and a natural nest setup, but I still feel too much when I lose one of those dancing chicks, especially through my own error.