Allergic reaction to beer

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Believe it or not I started having this reaction last year anytime I drink ANY alcoholic beverage whether beer or liquors.... and NO not from drinking ALOT!!! LOL. I actually drink only occaisionally & not much even then! Mentioned it to the Dr on my yearly & was told it is fairly common - that some people flush with alcohol exposure & that mine was most likely from body chem. change due to my age (40)... DW says it is a good reason NOT to drink - ever!!! But my blood pressure & all of that stuff was perfect. Mine just flushed my face a pretty bright red - but no other symptoms. Since then it happens every time to some degree. Although note that I began taking thyroid med that same year.... Dr says no correlation .... but...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I wish I could find an ingredient list. I did find a few homebrewers forums where they were trying to make a knock off. I think it was malted wheat of some sort that did it.

I do not react to hard liquor (like vodka or tequila..which I usually drink with sugar-free soda and lime). So this leads me to some kind of grain. Ever since I gave up grains (about 3 years ago) I have had beer from time to time with no problem so this was just weird.

It's a shame though...that beer was really tasty. Good thing we got a variety pack so I can try a different flavor tonight! LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Sounds like a reaction to the beer for sure! I have always been under the impression that Belgians were made with wheat.

I had that same reaction one time in a Chinese food restaurant. I was eating Kung Pao and all the sudden my face and head were burning hot, and it was not chile heat either. I stayed away from that place after that. Chalked it up to MSG overload.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I had a different sort of allergic reaction to one variety of Sam Adams. Violent sneezing, eyes watering, etc. Happened again the next time I had the same kind. (I have a beer about once every other month). It was really odd and caused folk singer Pete Seeger to look at me like he'd really rather not sign my book. :/

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wine I could live without....I do not DO whiskey any more....

OMG....I would just DIE if I ever had a reaction to BEER!! :lol:

I quit drinking when they invented the FUNNEL! :gig

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
some one i know has a weird reaction to the holiday beers - from the spices apparently.

but

sometimes certain wines make me flush too (and not just after drinking the whole bottle!).

i'm going with maybe the yeast??
That can be as a result of a histamine reaction if its a red wine.