Allergic to Fels Naptha?

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello again all!

We started using the home made laundry soap a couple of weeks ago. (LOVE IT!)

However, my son has developed little red spots all over. At first there were just a few mostly on his arms and I thought maybe it was from the hay bales, but there are now more (for about the past week). They don't itch, he has no fever, no pain, nothing but little red spots all over.

I looked all over and didn't find much about people being allergic to any of the ingredients but am currently washing all his clothes and bedding again in the normal commercial detergent and fabric softener that we were using until recently to see if it makes a difference.

I stopped in and talked to the pharmacist today and she suggested the same and looked at the dots and said not to worry about trying to "treat" them with anything right now since they don't itch.

Anyway, the point of all this rambling is to just see if anyone else out there is allergic to the Fels Naptha soap and think that if this turns out to be the issue maybe switching to the Zote or Dove would work.

We have used Borax and Washing Soda some before and he didn't seem to have any issues.

Thanks to all and hope everyone is doing well!

Tom

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It sounds reasonable. It does have a lot ingredients in it. Would be worth switching back to see if it resolves.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It could just be dryness as well. DD does that and we checked/changed soaps several times before we figured it out that her pores were actually red and irritated from dryness. Also could be the hay still too, if EVERYTHING that touched the hay hasn't been washed(jacket I'm thinking) it could still be the hay. So long as it doesn't itch it won't hurt him and gives ya time to figure it out at least :) You can substitute Ivory too and it is very mild soap.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have heard of people having a reaction to this before. It was on another forum I am on called Diaperswappers. So, it could be the cause. I would switch it out for a bar soap as you said. I use pure and natural which comes in packs of 3 for a dollar. I use it because it is a basic soap without added moisturizers which is usually what you are paying for with other brands. I don't need moisturizers for my socks and undies :p
And I know you didn't ask but, here is what I do : When I make my laundry detergent I grate up regular bar soap and dissolve it in a little hot water on the stove and then add it to my detergent.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks all! :thumbsup

I LOVE this place!

I'll go ahead and just use the current batch of soap for myself and daughter and if this turns out to be the issue with my son, I'll try a different bar soap.

I'll post back to let everyone know what happens.

Wish me luck!

:fl

Tom

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have used Zote as well. We liked the Fels Naptha better, but had no skin issues, in fact, our skin issues went away when we switched to homemade laundry soap. We make the liquid version and the Zote made a lumpier batch.

I have heard about people using all kinds of soap for the recipe....I think you could just find one that suits your skin type and allergies, as long as it was designed to clean and not be too superfatted. I'd be interested in hearing how you like your detergent made with other soaps.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello all!

Bet you thought I'd forgotten this one, huh?

So we changed his laundry detergent, rewashed EVERYTHING that he could come into contact about 2 weeks ago. Didn't help.

I put him on the CLO with me and it started getting better but still had the STBX wife take him to the Dr today.

Good news... IT IS NOT THE SOAP!

He has Pityriasis Rosea which is a rash that is non harmful, not really known how kids contract it, and goes away within 6 - 10 weeks. No cure or treatment other than moisturizer for itching (thus why the CLO helped I'd guess).

Anyway, we're switching back to the homemade detergent (WOO HOO! :celebrate) Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else stumbles onto it with the same issue.

Thanks all!

Tom

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just to let you all know...don't ever use a moisterizing soap in your laundry recipe. It will dull your clothes fast! You don't want to wash clothes in oils.
Ivory works because if is 99% pure soap.

Happy to hear it wasn't the soap though! And that it is nothing serious.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
Hello all!

Bet you thought I'd forgotten this one, huh?

So we changed his laundry detergent, rewashed EVERYTHING that he could come into contact about 2 weeks ago. Didn't help.

I put him on the CLO with me and it started getting better but still had the STBX wife take him to the Dr today.

Good news... IT IS NOT THE SOAP!

He has Pityriasis Rosea which is a rash that is non harmful, not really known how kids contract it, and goes away within 6 - 10 weeks. No cure or treatment other than moisturizer for itching (thus why the CLO helped I'd guess).

Anyway, we're switching back to the homemade detergent (WOO HOO! :celebrate) Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else stumbles onto it with the same issue.

Thanks all!

Tom
Get him on Kombucha too. Mixed in juice to help with transition.
It may well kick the issue to the curb.