Almond Butter...not the kind you eat....

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I bought some Lye from Bramble Berry I bought some Almond Butter because it was on sale. I have never made a batch of soap but plan on getting my toes wet with the Crisco Recipe. But what do I do with this Almond Butter? If I try Googling "Almond Butter" I get the kind that's made like peanut butter. The kind I got from BB is white and I'm sure it wouldn't taste very good spread on a piece of bread. So do I make lotion or soap with it?

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just looked in The Soapmaker's Companion and Milk-Based Soaps and they only talk about Almond oil. I am rather certain it would be nice in a lotion or cream. I think you could probably add it to soap but you need to take away from another oil if you do. On the other hand does it have beeswax or something with the Almond oil to solidify it? Added ingredients might negatively affect your soap. I would highly recommend making some soap strictly by the recipe the first time or two. Then if you want to experiment you might want to make a 1/2 batch or smaller. Getting the fat to lye ratio balanced is very important.

If I wanted to play around with it after I was comfortable making soap and could find no other information I would probably use it like shea butter using it as only 2-5% of my total oil (not much) and melt it with the other oils. Or add 1 2/3 tablespoons per 5 # of soap, melted, cooled to approximately 75 degrees and add just before adding the scent. (directions for Shea Butter in The Soapmaker's Companion.

If you really want some soap with Almond butter why not get some melt and pour and add the almond butter to it?

Good luck and happy soap making.

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
INCI Name = Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil
Saponification Value: 188 mg KOH / g of Fat

Our Ultra Refined Almond Butter is derived from sweet Almonds (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis), specifically from the Mediterranean area, and is obtained by the cold pressing of selected fruits followed by a full refining process. The natural oil contains essential fatty acids, but also contains unsaponifiables. In your cosmetic formulations we feel the behavior of Almond Butter is somewhat similar to that of shea butter (Butyrospermum parkii). A very soft butter with great spread-ability making it ideal for massage butters. It adds moisturizing attributes to creams and lotions and bar soaps. May be used in soaps, massage oils, butters and balms.

Lotions and Creams: try 2 to 20%
Body and Lip Balms: try 5 to 100%
Bar Soap: try 3 to 12.5%
Hair Conditioners: try 1 to 5%

I copied this from the Majestic Mtn Sage catalog. Hope it helps.

HarrisIndi

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Almond butter is basically the oul made in a more solid form, you can use it the same way as you would cocoa butter or shae butter. You can just rub it straight onto your skin for an intense moisturiser. Once heated it should go back to a liquid form (you'll need to test this), so could easily be added to a soap making recipe that way.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Gallina's information really helps. It should be easy to put into soap and you can sub. = amt almond butter for the crisco in your recipe. I would use a lower % the first time to see how it does.