Alone! with the chickens!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my, the visual picture you just painted. I can just hear your stern "NO!" and all those chickens suddenly stopping in place. Maybe the next time you need to tell them a story as you feed them. How about, how Colonel Sanders found the secret recipe for his fried chicken? :lol: You go girl!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL I seem to recall some Fred stories over on BYC. NEVER name a rooster Fred! :gig

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I "cheat" when I need to do anything with "the girls". If they are loose and not supposed to be, I toss down some scratch. Ditto for any time I need to open their run door and don't want to be bum rushed. The reason they rush the door is because in winter I let them loose in the yard so I can't really blame them for wanting to be loose.

I had to laugh when I saw that you read to your birds. My girls were always too busy pecking various freckles on me to eer calm down enough for a story. LOL

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
apparently roosters named Fred are just evil. didn't someone else (ofg maybe) have a hellspawn named Fred too?
yep. he was the meanest mother-clucker EVER.. but wow i miss him now....

:)

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I started laughing out loud at your story about "NO!" and DH wondered what was so funny from the other room. My girls (3.5 left) love their mama. So did my one remaining rooster until Tuesday afternoon. I've talked and sing songed to them since I bought them as baby chicks.

Someone from BYC advised me about my hen with the supposedly broken legs, and mentioned in passing that my rooster was just too rough with the girls seeing as how they are almost neked and sometimes get blood on their backs. So I caught him with a blanket (after soothing sing songing to him) and hauled his big black feathered self off to a vineyard manager's place.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh, you are certainly onto something. I just did the early afternoon chicken check, barefoot, skirt, tank top. Chicken aggression has to be a guy thing. Or maybe with just our guys. My feathered friends of course wanted to be close, but did not interrupt the process at all. None panicked when I picked up waterers as my sweet husband reports. Roosters did not put themselves between me and the hens, something else reported by my sweet husband. I think it might be attitude.

I am thinking I might try changing Freds name.. I was considering Brad. Maybe Joshua .. or better yet.. Stew! The little punk took a corner out of my brand new hardcover book!

Aidenbaby, I started reading to them because I retain information better when I read it aloud. My sweet husband just isn't interested in many of the things I read. However, the chickens.. captive audience ! Oddly enough, they really seem to enjoy it.

Thanks again everyone for all your support and hand holding of the newbie chicken lady. I was far more nervous about 114 chickens than I was 60,000 bees.