Alpine/Nubian mix goats available on CL

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I recently got an Alpine doe. She is very nice and easy to milk. Milk tastes very good. I would say it isn't as rich as some other milk that I have had like from Nubians. My husband prefers it since we went from drinking fat free cow milk to raw goat milk. We had to get used to the full strength milk and it was very easy with the Alpine.

I would physically look at both the Alpine and the LaMancha and see which one you like physically. I think milk wise it would be the same. My Alpine is very quiet and I understand that LaMancha are quiet too. You will have to look at them everyday when you take care of them so I would get what you like to look at.

I can understand being on the fence about getting them. I have to arrange any outings around milking the goat. But I also have other goats and alpacas and chickens so I'm very tied down to the farm anyway.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am thinking I might just let take my chances and get two of whatever "hatches". As long as I end up with at least one doe. Sometimes it is best to let "someone else" make decisions for you. :lol:

I can just see two little goaties frolicking in our field with the chickens, the dog and our black kitty. :lol:
Any garden area that has anything growing, is fenced off to keep the chickens out. I am hoping it'll keep little goaties out too.

I'll be checking out electric fencing this week. I figure goats and electric fencing should help to keep out the 2 footed vermin also, you know the people who think my hard grown crops are available "for the taking".

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:weee Post pics as soon as possible!

I forgot you have a small property. The LaMancha's are probably smaller. I would've said to go with what is pretty to you, too, as I think the no-ears thing is U-G-L-Y, but now that I've had a LaMancha for a few months, I think he is darn cute and the neighbors love him, too. And he is a buck. Such a sweetie-pie.

Yep, it might be easier to let someone else choose for you. It is coming from a dairy, so it should "put it in the bucket" for you. There is a lot to be said for crosses, too.

Unless the does are a lot more money, consider two does. You will have the option to breed each one every other year, milking one through while the other is pregnant. You will also have the option of having two in milk if you are as insane as I am.

Having a smaller lot is fine, you will just have to bring more food to them. But that food can also be prunings from your fruit trees and veggies and plants from the garden. When you pull up those pea plants, into the goat feeder they go. Rutabaga greens. Corn stalks and husks and silk. Carrot tops. Etc.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Free. I have already been saving food stuff for the neighbors goats. So I think I can handle scounging for goat food.
I have a tendency to love "ugly" animals. So looks really are not an issue with me and SO is ultimately on the same boat as far as that is concerned. I just am trying to be ultra well prepared. And I am feeling better and better about getting these goats. And SO's involvement. ;)
I haven't asked them, but I am sure the nieghbors will help with the goats. Ultimately it is easiest, if we help each other with the critters.

Oh and I have a little secret to share ;) DD is probably pregnant, and that means she will need good wholesome food for the babe. I am looking forward to taking care of a grand child, soon (well a whole 9 months), I hope. ;)