Alternative living.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes there is some wear on enamel from modern toothbrushes. Not really noticeable even over decades if you're using soft ones. Hard bristle is noticeable. Both dentists I've used in the last 2 decades have been adamant that only soft bristle should be used.

I'm not sure how electric toothbrushes like Oral B effect teeth.
Electric toothbrushes are better. I have receding gums from over brushing (no cavities ever!) with medium toothbrushes and was recommended by a dentist to use only a soft bristle brush, or better get an electric toothbrush. I believe it has helped to slow or even stop my gums from receding more.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i always felt that using a soft bristle brush just wasn't getting the gunk off my teeth well enough so i went back to a firm bristle brush. i'm not over-brushing and haven't had a problem with my gums getting worse.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's a man who lives without money:

While living without money is an interesting topic under this alternative living thread, I would prefer this. She has to have money to live, but doesn't dumpster dive, and has a secure cave:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The cave is obviously a hobbit hole!

As for the guy... just being a little nit-picky, but if he's dumpster-diving, he's still dependent on OTHER people's money, isn't he?

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The cave is obviously a hobbit hole!

As for the guy... just being a little nit-picky, but if he's dumpster-diving, he's still dependent on OTHER people's money, isn't he?
And, depending on other people's money by using a public computer at the library!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there is the city near the Salton Sea called Slab City i was reading about not too long ago. and watching vids too. sounded like a very wild place and a bit too crazy for me to even consider it. still interesting to me as i ponder how to live near people, but not too near. i like my own space. communal living has some appeal to me, but not right in there like a big dorm room type of set up.

i do like the idea of living in a cave and had a friend who started making one for himself on his property, but i have no idea how that has turned out or what he is up to these days. i've lived in an attic so a small close space doesn't bother me, but i don't like it to be super dark as i would want some way of having enough light for plants. putting a place in along the edge of a cliff that was stable enough would be one approach i'd like, i've even designed places in my head to fit a few different scenarious.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One thing that makes me nervous about living underground, like a cave... I've lived my whole life in earthquake country. A house is bad enough. Maybe I should investigate yurts?

Latest posts